Can reinforcements ADD units? I.e. do "Invade the island" scenario?

1. 6 years ago

Hi,

let's say I have:

a) a small HQ TAOR with only a few group spawns
    b) a huge TAOR with many objectives, but no group spawns, only objectives
    c) A big military logistics module reinforcements pool
    d) Military commander set to invade

Will my military commander ask for more units in order to invade the big TAOR
    or
    Does it only replace dead groups by living groups?

Thank you

2. Friznit

7 Dec 2017 Administrator

Battle casualty replacements only. You can manually request reinforcements using the player logistics tablet

3. @Friznit Battle casualty replacements only.

OK, thanks!

4. @Friznit Battle casualty replacements only. You can manually request reinforcements using the player logistics tablet

Let’s say he starts the mission with a small amount of friendly groups on the map. Let’s say 20. If he relies purely on Military Logistics BCR’s from the force pool, as you said, he’ll get replenished but he’ll never exceed 20 total groups on the map at the same time.

But, and I’ve never looked into this. If he calls in groups from the Player Logistics tablet, is he allowed to exceed the 20 groups? Or will his request be denied?

I’ve had people ask me this before, and I get the desire. Other game modes around the forums allow you to start small, and grow in strength as you gain territory (I know, it’s very gamey, but people do ask for this). I’m definitely curious if Player Logistics requests will let him play this way and call inas many groups as he sees fit as he conquers land.

5. Edited 6 years ago by dev614

From my experience, you can call in more reinforcements than whatever pre-placed groups there are with player logistics. I typically start out small with about a platoon of BLUFOR, and as I progress I'll add new objectives via a trigger and call in reinforcements via player logistics to man the objective as "static defence". Haven't been denied due to exceeding any limit (as long as force pool allows of course) yet.

A question that arises from that, though, is does the BCR replace the extra units called in via player logistics, or does it stick with the original civ/mil placement count or editor-placed units count?

6. Edited 6 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

@dev614 A question that arises from that, though, is does the BCR replace the extra units called in via player logistics, or does it stick with the original civ/mil placement count or editor-placed units count?

I don’t think so, this is why I asked about at least being able to exceed it. Fairly sure only on init the total groups are calculated and BCR’s can never exceed that initial number.

7. Friznit

7 Dec 2017 Administrator

Sure you can exceed it, that's the definition of "reinforcements" vs "replacements" after all.

Mil Logistics works by calculating the difference between the current number of profiles vs the number at mission start state, so it won't request BCR for reinforcements until the mission is restarted (and assuming you have profile persistence on).

8. @dev614 Just to be clear, you can exceed the initial group count by requesting reinforcements but for BCR’s, they’ll only replace based on the mission start group counts for each OPCOM. The initial force strength is also what’s checked for persistence, not what’s on the map at the time of saving.

9. Edited 6 years ago by Tortuosit

@HeroesandvillainsOS I’ve had people ask me this before, and I get the desire. Other game modes around the forums allow you to start small, and grow in strength as you gain territory (I know, it’s very gamey, but people do ask for this).

Occupying force in the south, you now invade (from sea) from the north in order to defeat them. In such kind of mission you need an increasing # of groups. Not gamey...

@HeroesandvillainsOS @dev614 Just to be clear, you can exceed the initial group count by requesting reinforcements but for BCR’s, they’ll only replace based on the mission start group counts for each OPCOM.

So what if we could define a "maximum # of groups per faction on map" group count? Or a factor "n times init group count"...
    IMO OPCOM should call the reinforcements a) until it reaches that number b) on a regular basis c) only as long as it needs it for its objectives/being the dominant force there and d) do it softly, i.e. check that there aren't too many groups at the reinforcement/insertion point.

10. I think it’s a fair request. My idea was that instead of persisting a static number of OPCOM groups on mission start, and that number never changing, was that upon exit, ALiVE could do a check for numbers of groups controlled by that OPCOM and persist that number instead (but it would probably have to not be able to go below the initial start number, only above it. This would prevent your forces getting wiped in the event you saved before replacements had a chance to arrive).

Maybe that’s not elegant enough but I think you see what I’m saying.

Feel free to open a feature request ticket on the Github.

You might be able to change the persistent OPCOM groups on the fly as well manually, but that’s out of my league. @marceldev89 ?

or Sign Up to reply!