Server freezes (Fixed!)

1. ‹ Older
  2. 8 years ago
    Edited 8 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

I just read this on (gulp) Reddit, so take this for what you will. Are you using Leight's again by chance? Over in the performance binaries thread on Reddit, one guy speculated ALiVE itself was causing crashes and the following poster said this:

"You have Leights OPFOR on there, which has been causing crashing post 1.54 when its ported units (Afghan Militia, ISIS, Chedaki, NAPA) are killed when used with ACE. We've run into that issue ourselves (as well as many other people according to ACE Slack as well as his Workshop page).

Speculation from December was that his hitpoints and such aren't set up correctly which is causing the issue."

Here's the thread: https://m.reddit.com/r/arma/comments/43tpv0/new_profiling_performance_binaries_v16_server_and/

I'd also be careful with expecting stability from those templates stickied here. I'm not saying they have any issues that I know of, I just know they haven't been updated in forever FWIW.

3. I had been using Leight's, but I moved over to CAF Aggressors for my ALiVE Takistan map, and it's still happening.

It happens less on the Kunduz MCC map than on the ALiVE map though. I wonder if it is just a problem with ACE, as that is a common demoninator between both of my maps.

4. Edited 8 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

When you say your Kunduz MCC map, what does that mean? Does that mean you're using MCC instead of ALiVE? Or with ALiVE? If the latter, are you sure MCC and ALiVE are compatible?

5. Edited 8 years ago by ski2060

I have a Kunduz mission with MCC, not ALiVE. It is stable for the most part, but it does occasionally have hangs. I ran it last night, overnight, with no crashing, after having my server migrated and the v15 Perf EXE and tbbmalloc.dll installed.

I'm attempting to run the Operation Landlord ALive mission on it now, to see how long it will go before crashing, if it does indeed crash.

6. If it crashes please share the report. It may prove useful to the devs here. Good luck. :)

7. If you can, feel free to jump on my server, IP is above.

8. I would but I'm at work, unfortunately.

9. Official templates are fine for the most part as there hasn't been any major changes since their creation (the newer official templates, not the old ones).

10. In an effort to share more information with the ALiVE team, I'm going to post some more of my findings here. First off, here's a link to the feedback article submitted to BI. I apologize for the laziness, but I'm at work right now. There are a couple RPTs there from crashes with all of our mods so not sure how helpful that will be.

We started having crashes as well shortly after 1.54 hit, as a matter of fact, I don't recall having any crashes until after we updated ACE3 to 3.4.0 (their first update following 1.54). When the "crash" happens, everyone online appears to be running in place as if there were some kind of network problem, but we don't receive any "no message received" messages. The RPT logs will be filled will cannot send message to player X (you'll see an example in the RPTs I linked).

During testing, we tried a "low mods" configuration and only ran CBA, ACE3, RHS (US & RU), and ALiVE. With a new mission created with just those mods, we still experienced a crash. Sadly, I don't have the RPT for that.

The above mentioned crash along with the fact that we are now stable that we have removed ALiVE from our missions, leads me to believe that the crashes are caused by some kind of conflict with ALiVE and ACE3 or RHS. If I can convince a few people in our unit to volunteer, I'll try just ALiVE and RHS and see what happens.

11. And think, with the new update coming, even more things may be broken. I think they're are making some changes to file architecture and other stuff. I'm not looking forward to half the mods I use being broken :(

I am currently in progression testing to see which mods are working and which aren't, also.
    Basic AliVE Takistan map with CBA and Alive, ran fine for 12 hours yesterday.

Put anything with ACE up, and it hangs. Not even a hard crash, but teh same as you, a Freeze, with no messages generated on screen.
    The server always shows Cannot Communicate Errors.

I think I'll either find or put together a mission with just Alive and RHS to test also.
    My unit would hate to lose ACE, so I would probably be relegated to NOT using Alive for my experimental server.

12. What's even more fun is there are groups reporting no crashes running the same modset. Have you tried the latest performance binary from Dwarden?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/582opsto4mmr8d8/3BSy9PdRGm

13. @SavageCDN We haven't tried v16 yet, but I did try with 13-15 during my troubleshooting. I tested without ALiVE just before v16 came out and haven't stopped to try it yet.

@ski2060 We are in the same exact position. We are able to offload most of what ALiVE does to a dedicated Zeus player and/or through mission making. Playing without ACE3 on the other hand would make our style of game play impossible.

14. Initial reports are that v16 is a big improvement.. .I haven't had problems with crashing but noticed the server load time at start is quicker.

15. Edited 8 years ago by ski2060

I just sent my hosting service the forum and dropbox links for the v16 EXE. Hoping they can get them in today or tomorrow. I'll report back then.
    EDIT: Just got host to install v16 Perf exe. Testing NATOFOR Alive right now.
    Running @CBA_A3;@ace;@ALiVE;@Leights OPFOR Pack OFFICIAL;@RHSUSAF;@RHSAFRF;@Ares;@[MELB];@TFA NSWG;@CUP Terrains - Core;@CUP Terrains - Maps;@task_force_radio;@Aliveserver.

Will let ya know how it goes.

@SOAR_Jooce I hear ya. We have the same setup on our main server. ACE is a mainstay of our milsim unit. It has all our mods, plus Zeus guys that take rotation to build missions and run things. Sucks that they usually don't get to play.
    I am experimenting on a server I rent, to try to find new mods and combinations that I think the unit would like. Mainly for long term persistent play.
    The main server is usually for one off direct action style play.

16. Welp... server took an Ice bath and froze again.
    Running a less mod intense version with v16 now to see how it does.
    No ACE, @CBA_A3;@ALiVE;@IWAR- Irregular Warfare;@RHSUSAF;@RHSAFRF;@Ares;@CUP Terrains - Core;@CUP Terrains - Maps;@Aliveserver.

Hope it will stay up for a while, although I'm already seeing the Server: Object #:###### not found (message type_91 or _119) that usualy presages a freeze :(

17. So maybe there's a conflict with ALiVE and RHS. A person responded to me on Reddit and mentioned it could be a hit points problem with Leights since we were using that, so maybe there's a similar issue with RHS. RHS armor is known to cause invincible AI and such if I'm not mistaken.

It may not be the ALiVE mod itself that's having or causing the problems, but there are definitely mods conflicting with it.

18. I think it's ACE. I am using RHS Insurgency ALIVE and it is not crashing. I had it on overnight with a couple unit mates playing on it, no crashes.
    Put NATOFOR Insurgency that has ACE on it, and it Freezes in anywhere from 2 minutes to 2 hours.

There is something in ACE that is conflicting with ALIVE. No clue what it might be though.

19. Edited 8 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Can you run the same mission that didn't crash except this time with ACE so we can finally determine what the problem is? Just add the ACE modules down and let it do its thing.

20. I guess I can tear the PBO up and put ACe in just to double check.
    Right now I'm running the RHS US Insurgency by Maquez.
    @CBA_A3;@ALiVE;@IWAR- Irregular Warfare;@RHSUSAF;@RHSAFRF;@Ares;@CUP Terrains - Core;@CUP Terrains - Maps;@Aliveserver.
    So far, no crashing.

21. Since it seems like an update is nigh, I'm wondering if someone would be so bold as to let their server run with only ACE, ALiVE and CBA (and nothing else!). If there is indeed a conflict between ACE and ALiVE, as the speculation seems to point to, this is really the only valid test to run. Ski, you seem like a good candidate for this because I know you let your server run all day remotely from work. LOL!

22. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!