Initial Platoon/Company size for mil and civ objective

1. ‹ Older
  2. 7 years ago
    Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

@marceldev89

Or anyone for that matter. I have a question in extension to the conversation above about ALiVE's initialization in relation to OPCOM BCR unit types based on initial unit spawns.

I'm trying something new. I have an OPCOM set to use three different factions. The reason being, the two I initially wanted to use don't have any Armored units so I decided to throw some into the mix.

OPCOM has a mil obj module set to spawn infantry only and civ obj module set to spawn infantry and motorized units only. So to spawn the armored units, I placed a few cust obj modules, mainly because I only want these tanks to spawn in very specific areas.

During the BCR process, will OPCOM replace these Armored units with more Armored units even though the mil/civ obj modules themselves don't allow it? I'm assuming OPCOM values cust obj's equally to civ/mil objs but before I commit to this approach, I guess I'd feel fuzzier and warmer if I could get a definite yes.

My other idea was to make this faction with the Armored units have its own OPCOM but I figure there's no sense in adding more stuff if I can accomplish more with less.

3. Yeah, as long as you've allowed armored reinforcements in the logistics module it should work. :)

4. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

What if that OPCOM is an Assymetric commander (it's not. Just curious)? Will he try to use the overrides I put in the modules instead?

It would actually make sense to me if he doesn't (insurgents I don't think generally spawn endless tanks IRL). I'm just kind of wondering how that would work without a Military Logistics module now that we're on the subject (and for future reference).

5. Edited 7 years ago by SpyderBlack723

Asymm will only recruit more infantry

6. That makes perfect sense. Thanks!

7. @SpyderBlack723 The profile counter you linked here awhile back seems to be a dead link now. Do you still have that file handy by chance? I lost the code when I deleted my in-game profile.

8. Edited 7 years ago by SpyderBlack723

No I don't lol. I cleaned out my gisthub snippets, which is why the file is dead.

I'll write another.

9. Try this

if (isServer) then {

_profilesBySide = [ALiVE_profileHandler,"profilesBySide"] call ALIVE_fnc_hashGet;
    	_profilesBySide = _profilesBySide select 2;

systemchat format ["Profile Count OPFOR - %1", count (_profilesBySide select 0)];
    	systemchat format ["Profile Count BLUFOR - %1", count (_profilesBySide select 1)];
    	systemchat format ["Profile Count INDEPENDANT - %1", count (_profilesBySide select 2)];

};
  10. @SpyderBlack723 Try this

if (isServer) then { _profilesBySide = [ALiVE_profileHandler,"profilesBySide"] call ALIVE_fnc_hashGet; _profilesBySide = _profilesBySide select 2; systemchat format ["Profile Count OPFOR - %1", count (_profilesBySide select 0)]; systemchat format ["Profile Count BLUFOR - %1", count (_profilesBySide select 1)]; systemchat format ["Profile Count INDEPENDANT - %1", count (_profilesBySide select 2)]; };

That's even better than the old one. Thanks!

11. Edited 7 years ago by SpyderBlack723

And it worked on the first try? It's a scripting miracle!

12. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

All that call to prayer stuff you've done has really paid off. Somebody's listening. :)

13. And that code for the Profiles counter would go in the Description.ext or the mission.sqf? I'd like to be able to give my players an approximate number of the enemy forces they are still facing on the map.

14. Edited 7 years ago by SpyderBlack723

Just run it in the debug console each time you want to see a new number. Or run it in a loop in the init.sqf to see it on interval.

15. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

FYI Ski at least for me it only works in SP when using the debug console. When enabling the console in the commander tablet nothing shows up. I use it more as a general guide when building missions. In game in a MP environment, I still rely on the virtual AI debug if I need a quick approximation of profiles.

16. In continuation of yesterday's Github discussion, I took a new approach for one of my Assymetric missions in an effort to lower the groups. So what I did was, seeing as it's a small map, was I made the entire map mil/civ objectives only, without filtering, and manually placed around 25 groups. I like what I see. However.....

After about an hour, the insurgent groups haven't really moved from where I placed them. I have the Assymetric commander synced to the non-Assymetric commander's objectives as well so I'm not sure why they're content in staying put. I'm assuming it's related to how many groups the Assymetric commander has at the objectives, but....

In one very small town, where I initially placed one group, over the hour they became four groups. But still, all four groups were content just staying put. Now, I'll admit an hour is not very long in the grand scheme of things, but I'm wondering, what needs to go on behind the scenes to let the Assymetric commander know it's ok to let a few of his groups move onto new objectives?

Is an hour just not long enough for them to establish their insurgent HQ's and begin to try taking the rest of map?

If it's useful, they started with 25 groups and had around 28 over this time so I know the insurgency is working. They established some installations and had a few firefights near their objectives but otherwise, they all kind of just stay in place (and yes they are virtualized).

17. I've got no clue how the asymmetric commander is supposed to work, it might be a bug or as designed. :(

18. @highhead :(

19. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

I increased the groups from 25 to 30, doubling up in some towns and I finally saw an x on the map indicating the commander was moving someone. So that's progress I guess.

I'd imagine that the Assymetric Commander first needs to establish his installations/HQ's, then maintain a presence at these objectives and probably only moves on from them once they are considered held and recruits a new group of soldiers?

Just a wack-job theory but I'll mess around with it to see if simply increasing the density of the spawns moves things along. It seems to but I'll need to really spend some more time with it and watch their behavior in debug.

20. Friznit

30 Sep 2016 Administrator

Yes something like that iirc. Insurgency can take some time to get going - I think there's an option to prepopulate insurgency HQ's and whatnot which should have it moving faster.

21. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Oh yes there is. I'm using the low option but I can definitely increase it to medium or something if needed. I happen to prefer an extreme amounts of civs so I try to keep the pre-made installations down a bit so things don't get nuts a only couple hours in, which can happen if you give them too many installations to start.

I remember one time AuTigerGrad telling me one time he left his server running (I guess it wasn't pausing or something?) and he said like literally every building at one point after several hours was an installation. Lol I think that's when he cut it down to none for pre-placed and I think that helped if I recall.

That's a good module option for me to keep in mind Friznit. Thanks for pointing it out.

or Sign Up to reply!