ORBAT Creator: British Tropical and British Desert Factions.

1. 7 years ago
    Edited 7 years ago by AUTigerGrad

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u8xdfd1eeu69xw3/AABtlJrJYdQa0JcWWmwVC9CMa?dl=0

I did this in about 30 min last night.

British Royal Marines-Tropical Faction

I used the 3CB packs as the main base. Infantry, Jackals, Coyotes, Apaches, Merlins, and Wildcats.

Then I added Beazly's MAN Truck Retextures to add MAN trucks to the faction.

Then I added Burnes Foxhound and Burnes Husky.

Finally I added the Harriers, C-130s, Chinooks, Warrior IFVs, Bulldog APCs, and Wolfhound vehicles to the faction from CUP.

The whole thing works beautifully! Created a mission on Tanoa, entered the faction name and voila.....a fully fleshed out British Force spawned in perfectly.

Kudos fellas!

I see myself becoming quite addicted to this feature.

*UPDATE*
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/q06zr2t4rqgmbvl/AACQBSqdWxfnHATsgED7Qi3la?dl=0

Ok, here is another ORBAT I created.

Faction: British Army Desert Variant

Faction name: British_Desert

Mods Used:
    3CB Equipment
    3CB Units
    3CB Weapons
    3CB Vehicles
    CUP
    Burnes Foxhound
    Burnes Panther
    Burnes Husky
    Beazley's MAN Truck Retextures

3CB Infantry/Vehicles augmented by CUP Warriors, Bulldogs, Mastiffs, Wolfhounds, Ridgebacks, Harrier Fighters, Chinooks, Land Rovers as well as Burnes Foxhounds, Panthers, and Huskys.
    Also have motorized Troop units and Supply Vehicles using Beazley's MAN Trucks.

Works beautifully with ALiVE. All Desert Variants of course and Desert camo infantry.

2. Very nice. I have been resisting the urge to toy around with the dev build.... your post may have broken my will to fight it any longer.

3. Yeah, it's addicting once you get the hang of it.

For factions like the Brits....who have some great stuff spread out over 3-4 mods...it's really a big addition to be able to add missing pieces to the puzzle so to speak.

Biggest benefit is not having to do any scripting/configs at all. Very very easy to use.

I'll be using it to add naval groups to RHS, etc.

4. @Riley Very nice. I have been resisting the urge to toy around with the dev build.... your post may have broken my will to fight it any longer.

Resistance is futon!

Thoughts on some kind of central repository for custom orbats (github)?

5. GitHub or a permanent sticky on here.

Could list the faction, faction name, and mods needed to run the custom faction?

6. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

@AUTigerGrad Nice. I look forward to checking it out. I also look forward to *cough cough* whatever Taliban faction or Middle Eastern civs you'll inevitably make. :)

@ALiVE Devs

Is there any protocol or rules users will need to follow when releasing custom faction mods? Obviously aside from crediting original authors and whatnot. I wasn't under the impression this tool was a mod creator. I can see if someone was careless enough that it could ruffle original creators feathers a bit (i.e. Leight's OPFOR).

7. Edited 7 years ago by AUTigerGrad

Good question Heroes, but I wouldn't think it to be an issue due to....

1. We!re not "stealing assets" or making permanent changes to a mod.

2. You still have to run the mods used in the config in their true, original state....so again, no issue there.

3. It's simply making a config to use more mods in conjunction.

I plan on listing the mods used, new faction name, and giving a kudos to all the modders used regardless. But again, we're not making physical permanent changes to anything.

8. @SavageCDN Resistance is futon!

Thoughts on some kind of central repository for custom orbats (github)?

Futon? Have you been drinking on the job again?

9. Edited 7 years ago by SpyderBlack723

As AU noted, the mods that contain the unit's you used still need to be ran, so you should be fine. Including credits is recommended as always. It is also mandatory you append "Spyder is the best" to all of your release posts.

Central repo sounds cool, Github would probably work decently well for the job. Will think more about it later.

Edit: Only when directly editing an existing unit without creating a new unit that inherits from it, you need to obtain permission from the unit's original creator before releasing publicly. However, it's not recommended to do this anyway and it has few advantages so I wouldn't worry about it.
    TL;DR: Always create a new unit and set it's unit type to the unit you wish to change instead of importing the unit from config and editing it directly (unless it's a unit you created)

@Riley - dev build is pretty set in stone atm, so what you see on there is what you'll likely see when it releases so if you're itching to test it, go ahead.

Edit 2. Making civilian units actually isn't possible because I hide those factions, since I likely won't have time to change and test this before the next release, I'll write instructions on how to make this possible (it'll be easy, mainly just a mass replacement of a certain word, 2s operation)

10. @SpyderBlack723 Futon? Have you been drinking on the job again?

Yes :(

"Spyder is the best"

11. Is 1.1.1.1607201 the latest dev build? If not can someone link me the download?

12. Github >> ALiVE.OS >> Releases >> Latest

https://github.com/ALiVEOS/ALiVE.OS/releases

13. Sorry I just saw you link it on BIS forums. I should have just looked there. :(

14. What is this magical creation that you speak of in the OP?

15. It's a new module for the next release

16. Yeah I started searching for it...I really like what I have seen so far in the editor. It will make my life SO MUCH EASIER!!!

17. Edited 7 years ago by AUTigerGrad

FYI, I added a second British ORBAT on first post with Desert vehicle variants, as well as desert camo infantry. Looks great on Takistan and working wonderfully with ALiVE.

Is there a way to make all units show up in Zeus under that faction or will units only show under their original mod?

18. I was wondering how to get new ORBAT stuff to show up on Zeus also.

19. @ski2060 I was wondering how to get new ORBAT stuff to show up on Zeus also.

What do you mean? The groups do not show in Zeus?

20. Nope. I haven't seen anything show in Zeus during previews with just the Orbat mod loaded.
    Maybe I'm just missing something like having to have Alive loaded also?
    I was under the impression that these ORBATS could be used outside of Alive environments?

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!