Upcoming CUP Terrains update question

1. 7 years ago

So I see they're incorporating JBAD into the pack. Should we expect any disruption with map indexes or our current missions (Takistan, Zargabad, etc)?

2. Friznit

15 Jan 2017 Administrator

Probably have to reindex the whole lot.

3. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

That sucks.

I really should try my hand at indexing again but it was super frustrating a couple months ago with all the crashes I was having with it.

4. New Terrains update is out! Time to see all the amazing things it added, and what it probably broke!

5. Building class names, paths to models, and positions should be the same. The only thing that should have changed is related to animations. The majority of JBAD buildings were for structures_e, which like Neo stated, are used on Takistan and Zargabad. However, all of the A2 terrains will have received upgraded buildings, in some cases it might only be one or two new buildings, but it's probably best to play it safe and reindex the maps.

If needed I could put together a list of specific buildings that were updated, but I don't really have an easy method of telling you what maps use those specific buildings.

From CUP Dev Pennyworth.

@Tupolov does this mean what I think it means and a mass reindexing is in order? Time for me to roll up my sleeves if so.

6. Yes, they will all need re indexing if objects were changed

7. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Yikes, according to NeoArmageddon, it's just about every map ever, including maps not in the CUP pack (so probably most if not all Middle East and African themed, Sangin, Reshmaan, FATA, N'Ziwasogo, Clafghan, etc etc).

You guys I'm sure will need all hands on deck here so I'll try again to get the tools working. You devs are doing so many other important and amazing things I hate to see you set that aside for something like this.

8. Could be a blessing in disguise really. The list of what maps were and weren't indexed in the wiki is well out of date.

Now's the perfect opportunity to work our way through and at the same time improve the index's on maps like FATA, Al Rayak, Zargabad which always seemed to have "dead spots" in them.

Time for me to learn to index I guess.

9. Yup, same here. Struggled to get the tools working last time but didn't really give it a fair shot to be honest as everything I wanted indexing was already good and laziness won the day...

10. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

@incontinenetia Yup, same here. Struggled to get the tools working last time but didn't really give it a fair shot to be honest as everything I wanted indexing was already good and laziness won the day...

You took the words out of my mouth basically. A couple crashes and I was like nope, off to play on a different map.

11. I can honestly say that I REALLY tried to index. I spent 2-3 hours on multiple weekends trying to figure out why my PC kept crashing everytime I tried. Downloaded, redownloaded dlls, etc. But I could never get it to work.

If I did...I would have had about 20 maps indexed by now! lol

Maybe when 64 bit ARMA and ALiVE arrive, I will be able to join the cause.

12. On a sidenote..the CUP Terrains update is awesome. I can confirm that it didn't break my Takistan mission..ALiVE is still working. But I'm sure as many have said that just about every map will need a fresh index.

13. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

So I think I'm going to start a new thread, where in the first post I'll maintain and update a list of users and the map they plan on trying to index. This will hopefully avoid people doing the same thing and wasting time.

But I also want to avoid people indexing maps that weren't impacted by the update because that would be a waste of time too. @Tupolov @SpyderBlack723 would there be any way to easily figure this out?

Pennyworth of the CUP dev team can probably provide some additional info (building names, etc). JBAD is primarily a middle eastern themed building pack, would that be correct? So for example, Chernarus and other European and western themed maps *probably* wouldn't have been altered, would that be a fair assumption?

14. The military buildings on Chernaus and other maps that have JBAD counterparts were replaced.

15. Oh wow so it's everything then. :( Thanks for the heads up.

Side note and off-topic but I hope my bases are all intact. @AUTigerGrad has building placement and/or shape changed at all that you've seen?

16. Friznit

31 Jan 2017 Administrator
    Edited 7 years ago by Friznit

@JD_Wang Could be a blessing in disguise really. The list of what maps were and weren't indexed in the wiki is well out of date.

That's news to me, since I've been updating it. There have been no indications on the github ticket to suggest any of the maps need re-indexing.

To test a map index, simply place ALiVE (Required), Virtual AI, Mil Placement (Civs) and Mil Placement (Mil) with debug on the last two, run up the map and watch the rpt in baretail. If you see any errors or large search area spam, it'll need a re-index

The tracker for map indexing is here: https://github.com/ALiVEOS/ALiVE.OS/issues/9

Please keep errors and issues in that ticket, or raise a new ticket if it's a particularly problematic map. If you want to collaborate on indexing, then fork the git and use Pull Requests. A busy forum is not the best place for managing this as it'll get lost in the noise!

17. @Friznit would Baretail be a useful resource for determining if a CUP map had JBAD replacements (even if it was only a couple of buildings) or is that program more for monitoring totally f'd up indexes?

If possible, my first priority would be to determine which maps were effected by the update. Any ideas on the most efficient way to do that?

For instance, I can assume Sangin has JBAD buildings now. But it might not.

18. Friznit

31 Jan 2017 Administrator
    Edited 7 years ago by Friznit

If there are no errors in the rpt file, and the objectives look ok on debug, you have no cause to worry and the maps will still work. Baretail is just for monitoring the rpt "live" as the game runs.

Even if they work without errors, the maps could probably still use a re-index at some point cos there'll likely be a lot more enterable buildings that we could designate as Civ Population and/or CQB locations.

19. @Friznit That's news to me, since I've been updating it.

Are you talking about the wiki or the github list? Because they don't even agree with each other.

http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Maps says Lingor, Kunduz, and Isla Duala are supported, while the github list says otherwise.

Maybe the information on the wiki needs to be removed and just link straight to the github list?

20. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Thanks Friznit. That's a good point. I messed around with Zargabad last night, and although the CUP team said that map specifically (along with Takistan) absolutely have the new buildings, ALiVE is still spawning units fine and without errors. So that's cool then that at least it isn't "urgent," though obviously less than ideal.

I'll see if I can get the tools working and I hope to take a crack at indexing here soon.

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!