Map Indexing failing (due to dewrp?)

1. ‹ Older
  2. 6 years ago

Any further word on this. This is a great map. Would love to have this indexed. I just spent all afternoon today, trying to do just that. And I can say, I ran into the EXACT same issues as posted by FwuXi. I hope this isn't one of the maps that is going to have a fault and not work with Arma 3. This map would be perfect for Alive!

3. @FwuXi Should have stated that I guess, running W7. Tried anyway, DeWrp still failed to start, log didn't mention running a command though on W10 indexing (that intended?)

I tried running DeWrp through the command without redirect, it spat out the intended output, of objects and their locations it seems.

Tried redirecting to the file, and I notice the file ended short. Which was rather peculiar to me. I tried running it a few different times and it would always run short.

I followed the wiki to a T, so I know the DeWrp tool I have is from the wiki.

I DID end up getting it to work however. After realizing that DeWrp was ending the file short, I tried to delete the file and try again, but it wouldn't let me delete it until I closed the CMD window (even though I had pressed any key and was at yet another prompt.)

What I found out is, that after DeWrp claims its done in CMD and to "press any key", you have to press a key 3-4 times (I chose enter) before it'll finish writing out the file, which is confirmed by seeing " //closing wrp...done " at the end of the objects.map.sqf file.

After that running the map indexing at the map screen again brought me to object categorization. I did run into the bug however where a particular section/list doesn't complete/terminate properly as well. Would be nice to see that fixed as after categorization I was lucky that the thing that didn't terminate failed right at the "." so I knew from the above entries that it was probably the file extension and termination of the entry.

In the end, the map got indexed however planes like to spawn in the middle of air-strips and not everything is registering as it should in theory, however I'll probably just have to keep experimenting with the indexing process to see how to improve it. Not blacklisting/marking h-barriers and walls though helps to keep the list a little smaller, and hopefully if small enough, safe from the early termination bug as well.

I figured that would have worked, however when nothing was working I was making absolutely sure that everything was in optimal straits.

---

Still can't get DeWrp to run at the map screen, but at least I found a working solution to my problem. Thanks for your suggestions and replies!

Would you be willing to share the indexing? I know there are people wanting to be able to use this map with Alive. I have completely wasted a day of my life trying to do this. Was hanging up on Generating Sector Data, moved the scripts\x folder as directed in the wiki, and now baretail shows 3 No speaker given for posts after generating sector data post. Not sure if this is a normal hang up or not. But now while waiting I have noticed that the scripts\x folder is missing from the mission folder, after following the wiki to the letter. Frustrating to say the least.

4. Some maps just don't work for whatever reason....

@HeroesandvillainsOS is the indexing expert let's see if he has any suggestions.

5. It will be a bummer if this one doesn't work with Alive. I've been over it and this is definitely an alive type map. I let the indexer run all night here. Still in the generating sector data and every 7-20 minutes I get a "no speaker given for" line when I check baretail. Again, followed the wiki to the letter on this.

6. To whoever wants to index this map, can you try to index a different map that’s known to be index-able, such as Stratis, just to make sure your tools are setup properly? Let’s start there.

7. Edited 6 years ago by cbff33

I got it to index but it never brought up pics of buildings and things to categorize. I just ran the test index mission and got the messages about no civ or mil sits found, so nothing generated. I noticed after baretail said indexing was complete, the map showed a ridiculously amount of squares well beyond the map edges. I saw a post showing yesterday showing how to set the map bound but cannot find it now. Should I reset the map bound in the module, and reindex? How do I figure map bound manually if you think I should do that? I am talking about Tembelan not stratis here.

8. If the objects to categorize is not appearing when you select yes in the module and start the process, something is wrong. Please try a different map (Stratis ideally because it’s vanilla and small) and report back.

9. ok

10. Tapping out. Keep getting the DeWrp error in the rpt. If I use the command prompt, it works. And if I follow directions in another post that I found, I can get DeWrp to do it's initial stuff and then I can get maps to index. But I'm out. Hopefully somebody else with better experience can get this map done.

11. Edited 6 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Understandable. I have a suspicion you’re not setup properly for indexing but yeah, if you’re burnt out troubleshooting it could take some time. No worries. Thanks for trying.

If I get some spare time I can try to index the map but no promises.

12. reading another post in the forum here. And I find someone else had the same problem. DeWrp should run before generating sector data? And as is per the course for most forum issues around the internet...it just dies with nobody posting any followup. http://alivemod.com/forum/2090-map-indexing/14

13. Yes. I know it’s frustrating, I’ve been there. It’s extremely easy to follow the indexing setup protocol steps from the wiki and miss something. Or follow the steps in what seems to be in a perfect manner but have done something not quite right.

Anyone I’ve ever spoken to that indexes doesn’t have to do anything unusual like manually run DeWRP or anything like that.

I’m guessing the solution here is simple, such as not having DeWRP installed on your Windows path environment, or the scripts folder not being in your My Documents Arma 3 profile folder, or something of this nature, but what exactly it is who knows.

If you feel like going over in brutally excruciating detail how you set everything up feel free but I won’t blame you if you don’t. Troubleshooting this is not fun.

14. All the files are in proper spots. It's gotta be something with DeWrp windows path. If I use the command prompt, DeWrp responds. But it just isn't getting triggered by the indexer for some reason.

15. Did you follow the steps here and add DeWRP?

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000549.htm

16. I did use that. And it got DeWrp to work with the command prompt, but the map indexer does not appear to be trying to use it. I am guessing that since the indexer is going straight to generating sector data.

17. You actually manually added the exe path then, correct? I made this mistake once, so sorry to harp on it, but make double sure.

18. Edited 6 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

^ If so, where exactly is your scripts folder placed? Where is @ALiVE placed?

19. I have checked the exe path many times. Not sure why it would work in the command prompt and not the indexer. I even changed the DeWrp location, without changing the exe path. It wouldn't work with the command prompt, then I changed the exe path to the new location, and once again, it works with the command prompt, but alive indexer is not triggering it. I switched from the steam version of alive and went with the download from the Alive site. So that is located in the main Arma 3 folder. The scripts folder is in the documents\arma3 folder. And based off of another post I found, I also put the x folder in the mission save file next to the index sqm.

20. Edited 6 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Don’t put anything in the mission folder. Putting the X folder in the mission folder is for after you successfully index a map to verify the index works, which you haven’t. Also do name the mission “Index” without the quotes (not sure if necessary but that’s what I do).

When indexing Stratis, what’s the exact Stratis PBO path you’re using in the indexing module? Can you copy and paste that here?

Do you have DePbo and DeOgg?

Are you enabling -filePatching (there is a checkbox in the vanilla launcher parameters you can use)?

Are all AV programs, including Defender, off? If so can you double check?

Is Battleye disabled?

21. I can't even get stratis to start indexing at all. just instant crash. tried using the addons\statis_map.pbo with an instant indexer crash. both dll's are in the dewrp file with the exe. filePatching is enabled in the checkbox. Defender was not off, I will shut that off. Battleye is disabled.

22. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!