ORBAT: Exporting Help & More

1. 6 years ago

I'm trying to make my own faction for my own play. I can't get past the exporting part. I can't find any tutorials that explain it enough for a newbie to do it. Most people that 'answer' my question just say 'paste it to the autogn.hpp file and then make it into a pbo and you're good to go.'

Is there a step by step directions or a guide video for the exporting part?

Then after that is there a video or directions for custom vehicle paint jobs? I guess textures would be the world for it.

Probably all things that have been asked before but all the help in pointing to the directions would be great. I have read the wiki over and over and over and over again. The 'directions' if you can call them that are TOO vague. Like a automobile dealership's answer on why your car blew up or Apples answer to why your phone melted.

2. This is probably the part of the guide you're not seeing. Don't worry, I couldn't see it either and it was there the whole time, so don't feel bad:

http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php/Generate_Config

There is a link to a template on that page you can use to help with copy/paste the file.

For packing the files into a PBO/mod, I use this tool:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=16369

I'm not an ORBAT expert, but if you get stuck with how to use the PBO Manager tool, I can help with that. Though it's pretty simple. Put the files you want in a folder. Then open PBO Manager, find the folder you want to pack as a PBO, right click on it, select the PBO Manager option, then pack the file as a PBO.

3. Deleted 6 years ago by CDR_Dread
  4. @HeroesandvillainsOS This is probably the part of the guide you're not seeing. Don't worry, I couldn't see it either and it was there the whole time, so don't feel bad:

http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php/Generate_Config

There is a link to a template on that page you can use to help with copy/paste the file.

For packing the files into a PBO/mod, I use this tool:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=16369

I'm not an ORBAT expert, but if you get stuck with how to use the PBO Manager tool, I can help with that. Though it's pretty simple. Put the files you want in a folder. Then open PBO Manager, find the folder you want to pack as a PBO, right click on it, select the PBO Manager option, then pack the file as a PBO.

Ok. So I got the files exports and pbo'd. I placed the pbo in steam/steamapps/common/arma3/addons. Then I searched for it using the launcher and it doesn't show in my game.

I only pbo'd the autogen.hpp and the cfgpatches.hpp because if I had the other two files it wouldn't start the game. What am I missing?

5. Edited 6 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

You should never put anything in your Arma 3\Addons folder. All mods either manually downloaded, or made by you in this case, go directly in the Arma 3 folder itself.

A good rule of thumb is to place an @ symbol in the mod's folder name. For instance, if you decided to download ALiVE from let's say Armaholic, the mod folder would be named @ALiVE. All mods you download are named this way. So name yours @whateveryouwant

Anyway, place the mod in the correct place and see if it works and delete anything you might have added in the Arma 3\Addons folder. All mods go in steam\steamapps\commom\Arma 3

6. Edited 6 years ago by CDR_Dread

I named the file folder @modname and the pbo mod_name.pbo... The whole is is just like the
    instructions says @modname\addons\mod_name.pbo

So I have two Arma3 folders, one in my documents which doesn't have an addon section and the other in the steam\steamapps\common\arma3\addons and that's where I put it and then I use the launcher to select the file. That's what understood from what you just said.

EDIT: I can share my screen with you later, being tonight. If you want.

7. That's correct, if it shows in the launcher it's all good. :)

8. Yes its in the launcher. No it doesn't appear in game.

9. Your ORBAT mod doesn't go in your Addons folder. It goes in your Arma 3 folder in program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\arma 3

And if you put anything inside the Addons folder, remove it. Users should never put anything in Addons folder.

10. That's what I'm talking about, its not in my program files The only stuff on that drive is windows stuff, everything else is on another drive, that was the first place I looked. So the step where it says to load it like any other mod, which every other mod is in the addon file, isn't right?

"6. Move your new @myfaction to the ArmA3 folder and run it like any other mod. "

So just put it in the Arma 3 folder? And...leave it there?

11. Ok well I'd assume you had Arma 3 installed to the default location. Regardless, you're looking for the steam\steamapps\common\arma 3 path.

No, the mod folder @mymodname goes inside the Arma 3 folder. Then, launch the game in steam. Then click on the local mod option in the top section of the launcher. Find @mymodname. Click on it and hit ok. The launcher will ask if you want to load the mod. Say yes. You'll now see your ORBAT mod in the launcher's mod tab and it will be ready to go for when you play the game.

12. Ok, when I get off work. I'll try that and report back.

Put @mod into steam\steamapps\common\arma3 folder, then find it with the launcher. Hopefully it works.

13. Edited 6 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

That will work. In the launcher, there is an option to load a locally added mod. You'll see it at the top of the launcher. Click that and find the @mod you put in your Arma 3 folder, select the @mod folder, then click ok. The launcher will ask if you want to load the you just selected, click yes. The mod will be added to your "mods" list in your launcher.

14. Yeah I already found that, and that's what I was trying before but with dropping the @mod folder into the addons folder and then selecting it via local mod list.

I am I just supposed to pbo the autogen.hpp file or both the autogen and cfpatches documents? Sypder's directions on youtube says export both.

15. and the mod was appearing in the launcher and the addon selection in the actual game...but non of the units were appearing in the game

16. Lets clear some stuff up. Where are you and what are you stuck on going by the list on the wiki?

1. In the ORBAT Creator, click Generate Config to copy the code to the clipboard.
    2. Download the addon template from ALiVE github here and unzip it.
    3. In the file browser, open addons/test/autogen.hpp and paste the copied code.
    4. Use a pbo tool to pack the test folder into a pbo
    5. Rename the pbo to your chosen faction name and place it in the folder @myfaction/addons/myfaction.pbo
    6. Move your new @myfaction to the ArmA3 folder and run it like any other mod.
    7. Load up Eden and check that your new faction is showing in the list correctly.
  17. ^^^ Also wondering where we are in the mission making process too TBH. Even if he packs the mod correctly and loads it correctly, if he hadn't added the faction name properly to the mission itself, it wouldn't work even if he made the ORBAT mod properly.

The quick start section of the ALiVE wiki is worth reading if you haven't and are new to ALiVE mission making:

http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php/Quickstart

18. The faction groups should show in the editor though. If everything is done properly that is.

19. I'm on step 6. I have read everything on the wiki and watch all of Sypder's youtube videos. I had the '@' there from the beginning. I haven't even tried making a mission, just at this point because what's the point of making the mission if the faction doesn't work?

The faction doesn't load in either the eden editor or the ORBAT editor after imporitng. It appears in the mod launcher as loaded in as well as in the addons section in game and marked as active.

20. Edited 6 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Put the @mod folder on Dropbox and put the link here so someone can look at your files.

Don't pack it as a PBO. Right click on the mod folder and click 'send to compressed zip file' or whatever the send to zip file option is. The folder will have a zipper thing over it if you chose the correct option. Post that compressed zip file on Dropbox then share the link back here.

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!