Small group play

1. ‹ Older
  2. 8 years ago

@SavageCDN a - The one and only http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=19139

Yep. I use this too. Love it.

3. @AUTigerGrad

So I haven't played around with the Asymmetrical warfare yet. I'm just trying to get my head around the basic conventional back and forth.

For the stratis one I linked above I was just trying to go Army vs. Army like Blufor is Invading stratis. I have one Huge rectangle AO over the island, with 2 small ones to catch 2 outlying areas that wouldn't fit in the square.

I have a Military Civ and a Military Mil connected to all 3. Mil is 200 I think, and 100 for the civ.

So its sounds like breaking those down even more would be better?

So is my understanding correct here in this example:

One Mil objective of 200, with 4 TAOR. When the mission spawns does it break that 200 out across all 4? So 25 units for each TAOR?

Also, how exactly does the limiter on the AI module affect things? Say I set it to 25. Does that mean only 25 groups can be spawned in my spawn radius? Or does that mean the Virtual AI will only spawn 25 groups over the WHOLE map for both sides?

I've noticed a lot of peoples missions keep the limiter to 20-25?

Thanks so much again for all your advice! I'm getting sucked in hahahaha. And you're right, ALiVE is SO GREAT!

4. The limiter is a hard cap on the number of AI groups that spawn over the entire map. Think of it more as an emergency brake to prevent the server from spawning too many guys in at once.

Groups over this hard cap get deleted... there was talk of having these deleted groups added back to the force pool or spawned at another location but I don't think that ever materialized.

5. So just to be clear. When you say "spawn over map". You mean the virtualized units you see when you turn ai debug on.

Your not referring to "spawning into real space". i.e. Only 25 groups are allowed to spawn in 1500 of me.

So what is the unit placement size for. So if I put down a 1200 platoon but have the limiter set at 25?

Is that my total force pool? So if I want logistics to keep supplying I need to set to infinite?

6. No I mean spawning into 'real space' - if your limit is set to 25 then no more than 25 AI groups can be spawned at the same time in 'real space'. You can have 100s of virtualized AI profiles (groups) but the number of groups that actually spawn in will be limited to 25.

This does not affect the CQB spawns which have their own limiter.

7. Woody, I find the most practical benefit of having multiple civ/mil objective modules to be getting a total sum different than the presets. For example, 90 is an impossible number to reach. Therefore, if 90 felt like the right unit number to you for the civ module, you'd lay down one with 30 and one with 60 covering the same TAOR.

8. Aaaah. Got it. Makes sense. And as to the limiter I forget that a lot of people play with larger groups who might not necessarily be in the same part of the map together. So if you have 3 groups spread out across 3 areas. Each group may have 5-10 groups of AI spawned in. I could see how that would start stretching a server, and thus the limiter.

I haven't gotten to work on it in a few nights and I'm having withdrawals lol. I keep refreshing the forums to get my ALiVE info fix haha

9. A good rule of thumb I've learned from many many many missions I've made with ALiVE.

I keep the AI limiter at 20 or so. This saves precious FPS because, in all honesty...I'm typically not going to get into engagements with more than that number in 90% of my missions at one time. I'd say that AI Limiter and the CQB module are the 2 most critical points in regards to how good your FPS is during a mission with friends.

The CQB module is very powerful and it can also cause your FPS to die if you have it too high. I'll typically set CQB modules to towns only and no more than 5 or 10% max UNLESS I'm creating a mission where I have an enemy force occupying a small area..such as one town or one military installation. In that case, I may set it at 40 or 50% to give me a very large enemy force to defeat to secure the village...but it won't kill my FPS either because I'm not spamming the entire map with 50% CQB.

CQB is also a very nifty feature for bringing life to your own FOBs. For example... a lot of folks make missions where you start at an airfield or an FOB and you and your fellow players are literally the only guys there.

By setting down another CQB module and specifying it only over your starting FOB...it will bring life to your base by putting troops in guard towers, barracks, etc.

One of the best aspects of ALiVE is how you can literally populate 100s or1000s of troops on a map..but they can be "virtualized" and essentially deleted when you are nowhere near them...boosting that precious FPS.

If you want to,send me a friend request on Steam sometime (AuburnAlumni) and I'll be happy to show you how I set up my missions.

10. Hmmm....I guess since we just beat y'all in basketball I can let go of my anger from last football seasons lol.

Sure thing man! I'll definitely look you up! Thanks for you're help!

That's a great idea about the base. Hadn't thought of that. I might make a TAOR over the top of Agia Marina and blacklist it from my normal 10% CQB module, and then make a new 30% CQB module BLU_F,OPF_F and connect it to Agia Marina and my main base (air base).

But I will need to make a new Mil Civ module specifically for the marina huh. As my other one is connected to the main AO. (My mission is linked a few posts up)

Thanks again!

11. CQB doesn't have to be linked. They can simply be placed and then you make the appropriate settings per each CQB you use

12. Finally got a play test in of my Bornholm map this weekend! Thanks to you all for your help!!

My buddy and I got in for only 30-40 minutes but it was hella fun. I did CQB across the island at 2% with Pairs. They have some pretty dense cities so that is plenty. We left the SW airfield and headed into the city just NW of it. Its a GREAT urban warfare environment. Lots of walls, scale able buildings, hedge rows, etc. On top of that I put ASR AI on the server too. Soooooo...yeah...we got the shite flanked out of us. I had basic ACE medical on to ease my buddy into it, and that lead to a few deaths haha. We didn't even finish clearing the city (couple of tanks ahead of us if I remember right) before we saved it out.

So of course now the tweaking keeps going. Some issues I've seen so far:
    1.) My starting force of about 400 blufor are up against about 800 opfor. (bornholm is a big map, and had to do 400/400 mil/civ to get the density needed). Blufor is attacking, but they aren't really taking objectives and moving onward. Is this maybe due to how compact the cities on bornholm are? Or should I maybe up the level of blufor? The only reason I didn't is if I go the direction of the main force and I get within 1100m I despawn half of them due to the limiter. Thoughts?

2.) I tried to the helipad reload/rearm script, but it didn't work. I created a tricker, made it about 10x10 and set it right over the helipad. Gave the trigger what it says, and then the on activation what it says. Activation repeatable by anybody. Left type as none.

3.) Even though my base is inside a 1500m square, I still get a decent amount of OPFOR spawning into it on the start of the map. This may be due to the road in front of the airport. Honestly not that big a deal because now that I think of it, it makes the spawn in feel like we just took the airfield and are pushing inland dealing with the last wave of a counter attack.

4.) Load issues for the mission. When I load the mission I see the picture of the map, load bar goes across, then I load in on my player unit start position. There's FNC Curator error, then a few seconds later I bounce back to the map and it goes through another load. Then the game finally starts up and I'm standing on my respawn marker. Now I have the respawnOnStart = 0 in the description.ext. Is this just CBA, Alive, bornholm? Its caused some angst when I've tried to load a dedicated server with TADST, then load in. The map loads with an unknown name and author, then loads again with the actual mission name and me as the author. Then it gets to be the briefing screen, and I hit continue then it goes back to the map screen to load again. Then it just sits there on that screen. Last night to get it to work I had to close arma client with the task manager and load in a second time before it worked. The first time my buddy logged in it said there was no respawn available, and kicked him back out. However, the second time he loaded in fine. Respawn was working normally.

Anyhow, sorry that was long! Any advice would be appreciated, and thank you again for such amazing tools to make these missions.

I'll have to put a copy on the mission templates forum when I get a chance.

13. I'll try out the rearm script later. I honestly haven't tried it in awhile so haven't had the chance to see if it still works after 3DEN.

I've had the same issues with missions not loading but believe it or not, they do eventually start. I'm talking like an excruciatingly long time though and I've also had similar success just restarting the server/client too when the wait is just so daunting. Fingers crossed the next ALiVE update fixes it.

Regarding your respawn issue, you lost me. Is spawning on base not what you were hoping for?

I too in my Assymetric missions have had problems with vehicles (civilian, mainly, with SpyderAddons) driving around my base. What I do to combat that is create a different marker for blacklisting it which I call "NOVEHICLES" making sure to include the nearest road(s). For your OPFOR issue, just make sure to blacklist your base area in the OPFOR blacklist boxes. They shouldn't spawn there if you make sure to do that in all the objective modules. Or at least try a custom one for base itself including the roads near the base like I mentioned.

14. So the respawn issue is. When the mission loads. For about 10 seconds I've spawned into the world with gun in hand. I'm standing at the same location the unit is in the editor.

Then the screen goes back to the map load screen. Then I spawn in at my respawn_west marker, and I'm ready to play.

Not a big deal, its only like 20feet difference. Its the fact that I have to go back to the map screen the second time and sit through another load screen. Again respawnonstart = 0

15. Edited 8 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Oh. Yeah I think that was introduced with the newest CBA. Or at least I think. I have that happen too, just can't remember if that is totally "normal" behavior that always happened or not. Never noticed it until recently.

I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as the mission loads and you spawn where you want to.

16. 1 - make sure you have enough of a force for OPCOM to send attacks. If you have debug on you will see messages in sidechat like "not enough groups for OPCOM attack" or similar. Are both OPCOMs set to Invasion?

17. Edited 8 years ago by Woody05

I have 400 troops and about 50 objectives so I don't think it's a size problem, but I can try upping to 600. Opfor is 800.

Opfor = occupy
    Blufor = invasion

Blufor starts at Sw airfield with a few towns around it. So I didn't want the opfor overwhelming them.

18. Oh hey so I checked the rearm script and it still works at least in the SP editor. I never tried the chopper version but the vehicles rearm with no problems.

19. If you are using the xreload.sqf script (by Xeno) you need 2 separate triggers - one for land and one for air. The trigger condition also needs to be changed to look for air units instead of land units - instruction should be in the download or the file itself.

20. Correct. I have 2 air trigger and 1 land trigger.

I'll have to fiddle with it some more.

21. Regarding OPCOM and objectives, how do you lower the count of them? When I start up Op Landlord It says that "Opcom has too many objectives, lower the amount for better performance, 80 is recommended" I believe that's what it says anyway

22. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!