Issues With Persistence, Respawn, and data

1. 7 years ago
    Edited 7 years ago by ScottWest

Hey there. I've been lurking here for a bit, but finally figured it was time to try my hand at making some ALiVE missions. First of all, thank you very much to everyone who has contributed to this. It's such a great project and really does bring Arma "alive" for me. Secondly, this is my first attempt at creating a mission for a local dedicated server to use persistence and War Room.

The mission: The main Tanoa island is occupied by militia in the military zones and an allied guerrilla insurgency in the towns. BLUFOR and OPFOR start an invasion of the main island from two separate islands. All 3 factions compete to dominate the island.

I've gone through the helpful guide here: http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php/ALiVE_Data#Resetting_Stats_and_Persistence to get the local dedicated server up and running. I've also followed the server set up instructions on War Room.

A couple of other notes:

• Always shut down the server with an admin save and exit
    • respawnOnStart = 1;
    • using multispawn module for insertion style respawns

I'm noticing these problems:

• Despite telling the multispawn module to preserve load outs, after a restart or respawn, I only start with half my load out. Namely I'm missing compass, map, gps, and watch.
    • Despite saving player position in Player Options module, player position is not preserved after restart. Always start back at original starting location.
    • War Room does seem to be getting only some data. It can tell what operation I have joined and tracks kills and shots, etc. However, the map view and the group view do not report intel or stats, respectively from the operation. The player and group newsfeed do appear to work though.
    • When I open up the logistics menu, I always see "Current Force Pool: WAITING..."

To troubleshoot:

• Made sure that all modules have persistence on and player persistence was set appropriately.
    • Made sure ports were being forwarded correctly and the War Room had correct IP and hostname
    • Tried removing spawnOnStart
    • Restarted server multiple times
    • Restarted computer multiple times
    • Changed hostname to something with only alphabetic characters
    • Redownloaded @Alive @AliveServer and alive.cfg and made sure they were in the correct locations and unblocked
    • Reset stats and persistence by changing PBO name and onMissionLoad

Any help you could provide would be awesome!

Thanks
    Scott

2. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Are you logged in as admin?

Based on what you're describing I don't expect this to solve most of it, but it is a step you should be doing.

3. Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I'm in the habit now of aways logging in as admin from the lobby.

4. Also, if it helps at all, on the mod front, all I'm using except @Alive, @AliveServer and @CBA_3 is @JSRSApex.

5. Great report.. if only everyone provided the same level of detail!!

One quick suggestion - is @JSRSApex OK to run on the server? In the past running JSRS server-side would cause issues. If that is still the case remove that addon from your server mod line and place the .bikey file in your server's \Keys folder (so that clients can still connect with it loaded).

6. Good suggestion! Yeah try JSRS just on the client only.

Though be warned there was a "bug" that caused JSRS to become a dependency for the mission if it was saved with it loaded in the editor. You may need to remove the dependency from the mission first.

7. Tupolov

2 Aug 2016 Administrator
    1. Validate with an official mission like Quick Start
    2. If that doesn't work it's going to be something related to your server/setup
    3. Pass us the RPT logs and plugin log from your Quick Start mission test
    4. Test a custom mission with data debug turned on, again pass us the logs.
  8. Thank guys. I'm going to look into all these suggestions and report back with the results.

9. I can confirm that I also can't respawn on my previously saved location. I have no other issues...persistence works fine as far as everything else.

I tried a vanilla ALiVE mission on my server as well and it too worked fine for everything except saving my previous player location. I had my normal respawnonstart = -1 as well.

Don't have an RPT handy. But...can anyone else confirm that it IS working for them? That's the only issue I have right now. Markers, persistence, saving to War Room..that's all working great.

10. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

@AUTigerGrad I totally forgot about this when we were playing earlier:

https://github.com/ALiVEOS/ALiVE.OS/issues/66

So I think a decent repro has been submitted for a fix.

11. Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions, guys. My player persistence seems to be working much better now. What I did was remove `respawnOnStart` altogether from description.ext and also removed @JSRSApex from my server mods. I'm not sure which one did the trick. I'm still seeing lack of War Room live map support and some issues with personal and group statistics, but my position is persisted and my loadout is correct on restart and respawn. The stats and live stuff would be nice, but that's the most important to me, so thanks!

Also, FWIW, I imagine this is a high data mission considering ~ 50% the map's worth of objectives and 3 factions with Battalion levels of placement. And I did try a stock mission and persistence worked but still the same stats inconsistencies.

or Sign Up to reply!