Understanding how CQB works with AI Command and Obj modules

1. 9 years ago

I've read the wiki entries for CQB, but I still don't understand how (or if) it works with the other modules.

How does it sync with Civ Obj placements in a town? I've had trouble with the Civ Obj module in towns, in that it doesnt seem to recognise the town as an objective (just elements that may or may not be present there). So I instead populate the town with CQB to ensure enemy presence there.

If the CQB module is synced to the AI Commander, will it recognise the loss of CQB soldiers and send reinforcements to the town?

What I really want to know is can ALiVe generate a town defense situation? If we've just KO'd all the CQB forces, can we expect tanks to start rolling in?

2. In my experience, the CQB module will populate only, and uses unit counts separate of any synced Military Placement module. Only the decimation of that placement module's patrolling troops, synced upstream to a Military AI Commander module, would prompt logistics/reinforcements.

The CQB module syncs only to a Military Placement module, if I understand correctly, and does so to adapt to only that placement module's factions and locations, instead of populating the whole map.

3. Friznit

4 Mar 2015 Administrator

Correct. Think of CQB as an ambient population module. It's designed to "bulk out" a town with enemy because there's never enough AI in the Placement modules to give players a really good CQB experience otherwise. It's not tied to Mil Placement directly, other than (optionally) to get location info as Crapachi said.

The idea is that if the AI commander is already defending a town with a couple of groups, then CQB will add extra units to make it feel more populated.

4. Also, if you end up killing off all the units under the Military AI Commander then the CQB module can act as an insurgency after you have cleared out the bulk.

5. Helpful, thanks!

However, I've noticed CQB forces will stand inside buildings, even after gunfire starts ringing out in a town. Is there a setting I should use that prompts the CQB units inside buildings to exit and investigate firefights?

6. Edited 9 years ago by dixon13

@doubleDizz However, I've noticed CQB forces will stand inside buildings, even after gunfire starts ringing out in a town. Is there a setting I should use that prompts the CQB units inside buildings to exit and investigate firefights?

You could tweak with the AI settings in the AI Settings module but I would highly suggest using a mod called ASR AI to handle this. That mod is excellent and great for enhancing AI not only for the what you are looking for, but this mod will make AI act more human like and will have human like tactics when fighting you.

7. Also, according to this forum post , there will be an insurgency system that will add better AI tactics.

This is the first step towards a fully integrated insurgency system which ultimately will allow Military AI Commanders to execute insurgent style tactics and strategy. - ARJay

So hopefully this will help with making AI better with their tactics. It also was announced here as well.

8. Friznit

10 Mar 2015 Administrator

To be clear on this: ALiVE does nothing with the very low level 'microAI' tactics. How they react to danger, what support assets they use, getting into cover etc etc are not touched by ALiVE and we have no intention of ever doing so. There are various mods out there which cover these sorts of thing very well already - ASR_AI, bCombat, VCOM etc.

Asymmetric Warfare is a different type of AI Commander. So instead of conventional Invade or Occupy, the AI Commanders will instead employ insurgency methods.

9. I was testing the cqb module last night while using rhs and ran into the issue of enemies not attacking me at all.i could walk right up to them with nothing happening. When I called in an insert chopper they shot at the chopper but on the ground they didn't recognize me.any fix for this?

10. Edited 9 years ago by dixon13

@bojangles2020 I was testing the cqb module last night while using rhs and ran into the issue of enemies not attacking me at all.i could walk right up to them with nothing happening. When I called in an insert chopper they shot at the chopper but on the ground they didn't recognize me.any fix for this?

Were you perhaps in "Ghost Mode" or did you possibly have any other mods on that could conflict with AI handling? Need all the information we can get so we can help you out better. If you could give us a link to your mission file as well, that would greatly help us out. Also, were you running a headless client on the server to handle CQB?

11. No i was not in ghost mode. We do run BIcombat ai mod.i will gladly give you the link to the mission file i am just not sure how to get it to you exactly. And the Headless client question is a good one! we are currently not running HC and i am attempting to figure out how to set it up. Reading some things online i think that may possibly be the issue.Sorry im fairly new to all this i usually make missions in the editor and i just started using ALiVE for missions only a few days ago. I really do appreciate any help if at all possible and thanks for hearing me out!

12. Sorry we are actually running ASR ai not BI combat. Yea i have done a few tests even with mods off except ALiVE and still the ai are simply not attacking me at all.This is very confusing lol

13. If you've tried with just CBA and ALiVE mods running then not sure why your AI won't engage you.. if you can send us a repro mission with just those two mods loaded we can check it out.

If vanilla works OK but RHS units do not can you let me know which RHS faction you are using?

14. @bojangles2020 I was testing the cqb module last night while using rhs and ran into the issue of enemies not attacking me at all.i could walk right up to them with nothing happening. When I called in an insert chopper they shot at the chopper but on the ground they didn't recognize me.any fix for this?

Bojangles,

Seems like I had this issue once and it seemed to be tied to the ghosting issue. Some script (I can't remember exactly which one was turning on the ghost feature on mission entry. Since you have tried it as vanilla as you can it has to be something in your mission scripts. I prefer to use ALiVE for almost all my mission making so do me a favor. If the issue is spotted by the Dev team please post the results so I won't make the same mistake again.

Thanks,
    -Stone

15. That could be the issue but I have experienced what he is explaining myself, and it had nothing to do with ghosting in my experience. It seems to be some bug with the AI being locked to whatever House Position they were spawned at, I have not noticed it in current release though.

16. 7 years ago

I'm sort of embarrassed to not know the answer to this after playing nothing but ALiVE for so long, but if I could get some clarification on the CQB module, that would be excellent.

1. If I want both sides to have equal CQB numbers, with the caveat that only the dominant faction in an area will spawn CQB units, how do I do this? Do I just lay down one unsynced CQB module, with it set to dominant?

2. I'm assuming if my units are just BLU_F and OPF_F, and the above is true (using one unsynced module), I can leave the factions override blank? If so, what do I do if I'm using modded units? Do I just place one CQB module and write, for example: mas_usa_rang,CUP_O_TK_MILITIA in the faction override or does it fall back to the OPCOM factions by default (so leave it blank even with modded factions)?

3. What does syncing the CQB module to OPCOM do? Does syncing it to OPCOM have any special function when that OPCOM is an Assymetric commander, for example? Should it ever be synced to OPCOM or should it only ever get synced to the civ/mil obj modules and never synced to anything else?

17. Edited 7 years ago by SavageCDN

1 - sounds about right... sides won't be exactly equal but pretty close.

2 - no need for the factions override for vanilla units but I'm pretty sure you need to enter something in the faction field. If the module is synced you don't need to enter a faction.

3 - nothing.. or it breaks CQB.. have never tried to sync it to an OPCOM module
    Sync is only used for Assym mode

18. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

@SavageCDN Hey thanks for clarifying!

Your answer to #2 is a little confusing. You said for vanilla I don't need to write anything in the factions line but then said I needed to write something. :)

I think I understand you now though. So basically if my goal is to have "equal" CQB numbers but only have the dominant side spawn, I'd use one unsynced CQB module only, set it to dominate, and write the factions in the factions line....

Vanilla being: BLU_F,OPF_F

Or changing it to a modded faction if it's a modded mission.

Does this sound ok?

19. That sounds right!! For #2 what I meant is no factions required if the module is synced to a placement module (it will use the factions from the placement module).

20. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Hey thanks.

I was reading though the wiki the other day (I do this periodically when I'm bored at work) and after going back over the CQB entry, I was like oh my goodness I've been doing it wrong for a very very long time. I've been syncing it to OPCOM in Assymetric missions which clearly is not recommended. :(

CQB units actually do spawn that way but I can only imagine the adverse effects doing it wrong has been causing. I appreciate the clarification!

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!