1.1.1 Released!

1. ‹ Older
  2. 7 years ago

Ah ok. Apparently the Ghosthawk can't pick up anything (that I tested with). I replaced it with a Huron and it had no problems. I'll have to mess around to see if that basically means anything other than these transport beasts will be feasible with the mechanic.

3. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Underneath Military Logistics "Air Transport Assets," setting it to Side and Faction does not stick. It automatically reverts back to Faction Only.

This is the same behavior as the profile speed 75% bug you guys fixed in the past. To repro: Change it from the default to "Server Side and Faction." Press ok. Open the module again and notice how it says Faction Only.

I'll open a ticket on Github tomorrow. It normally wouldn't be that big of a deal, except most of the modding community doesn't think to add helicopters or other standard BIS groupings so this will set a lot of popular units out there to convoy BCR Logistics only until it's addressed.

4. I'm wondering a couple of things about slingloading.

1. Are there resources mod makers can use to get their assets slingload ready? Last night I tried to get a vanilla Huron to sling a 3CB Coyote and a Burnes Foxhound. The 3CB Coyote does show up on the logistics drop down but the Huron refuses to pick it up, no matter how much space is given. He gets close to it, fails to grab it, shoots way up in the sky and can't be sent on any new objectives (aside from RTB'ing. Seperate issue, see Github).

And the Burnes Foxhound won't even show up in the drop down list so I'm assuming it can never be picked up?

2. Would it be possible to find some way in making the drop down list have some knowledge of the location of the asset? I spent a good deal of time with this yesterday and about 50% of my attempts fail. Even when clicking directly on the asset on the map after selecting the drop down option, lots of times it either does with it did with the 3CB Coyote above, or gets much less close to the object and it fails.

I see them drop down seems to have some knowledge about what assets are on the map. Possible with the engine for it to also know he location, so all we need to do is click the asset in the drop down to and then click confirm, rather than having to click on the map too?

3. What kind of assets do you guys like to use for slingloading? The only ones I can think of are vehicle ammo, vehicles, and cargo nets. I wonder if it's strong enough to police up bunkers or medical facilities.....I'll have to take a look-see but any suggestions would be sweet.

5. @HeroesandvillainsOS  Underneath Military Logistics "Air Transport Assets," setting it to Side and Faction does not stick. It automatically reverts back to Faction Only.

This is the same behavior as the profile speed 75% bug you guys fixed in the past. To repro: Change it from the default to "Server Side and Faction." Press ok. Open the module again and notice how it says Faction Only.

I'll open a ticket on Github tomorrow. It normally wouldn't be that big of a deal, except most of the modding community doesn't think to add helicopters or other standard BIS groupings so this will set a lot of popular units out there to convoy BCR Logistics only until it's addressed.

IIRC the module default resets back to Faction Only but that's only after you open it again... if you leave it I'm pretty sure the setting you pick sticks (maybe a dev could confirm?)

6. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Hmmm. That would the cool but also the only example of a module doing this currently that I can see (some used to in the past though). Lots of other ones can be changed and don't revert back when you open them again.

It's probably Eden (not blaming you guys at all) but kind of sucks if it can't be properly changed.

7. @HeroesandvillainsOS

Thank you for the info. I'll check it tonight and let u know.

@ALiVE team

Thank you guys for the update! Cant play any Arma3 missions now without it... U guys rock!

8. Ha! The audio for transport and logistics confirmation is faction specific. Or maybe inherits the voice of the person in the chopper and that of the player requesting? Either way, awesome sauce. 3CB have British accents which is cool and I wasn't expecting that!

Thanks guys.

9. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

@Tupolov or anyone familiar, can I get a quick explanation for what to expect from my friendly BLUFOR units in the Quick Start mission on Tanoa?

I see BLUFOR is set to spawn on their little TAOR island, and OPFOR set to spawn on the islands to the east. Is BLUFOR supposed to eventually get objectives from OPCOM to go to the eastern islands at all, or are all of my friendly units from the mil obj module supposed to just stay near the main spawning point? They're not blacklisted from the AO. But the TAOR is set to an HQ.

I'm just wondering how a mission like this is supposed to work. After about an hour of play, it's still just me and my player group in the enemy AO eastern islands. BLUFOR haven't headed to the AO at all on their own. Am I supposed to manually change the waypoints for these groups to get some help out there? I guess I'm kinda new to a mission where BLUFOR and OPFOR are set to only spawn on their respective sides.

10. Tupolov

25 Jul 2016 Administrator

Yes. This mission is really more focused on the player and their team. Its a good candidate for a small group who want to conduct raid like operations etc. without the main BLUFOR getting in the way. Similarly, BLUFOR are safe from OPFOR in that OPFOR are concentrating on securing the main island.

11. Perfect. Thanks for clarifying Tupolov.

12. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

@Tupolov @SpyderBlack723

In continuation of the discussion initially reported by another user on the BIS forums, I've spent some more time with this and I think there is a problem with BCR resupply choppers right now.

It seems to me something changed recently, and these choppers come in clusters at lower altitudes and now land on the ground to physically drop off troops?

I realize the old way of just paradroping dudes from heaven was probably less realistic, but ultimately it didn't result in epic Michael Bay style crashes. With this new way of landing or at least trying to land on the ground, these choppers just keep bumping into eachother and exploding.

These helicopters just don't give eachother enough space. Not in the approach and not in the drop off. I've actually yet to witness a successful resupply where at least one chopper didn't collide with another one and explode. Normally it's several and 100% reproducibility (with my settings at least. And I should note, I haven't done a million tests but just several consecutive observations now). I really think they should spread out and not ride so close together, or, the old way should be used where guys just fall from the sky from helos way way up if this new insertion method can't work to well with the limitations of the engine.

Thoughts?

13. and now land on the ground to physically drop off troops?

They've always landed.

14. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Are you saying paradropping or helo insertion or whatever you call it isn't in ALiVE for BCR's or resupply (because it is, at least with the setting I've been using)? If them landing has always been an option then it must be rare because up until now I've only ever seen them dropped from the sky.

Anyway, I'm talking about the explosions with resupply choppers when a landing attempt is made.

15. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

So just now I RTB'd and just so happened to stumble upon a resupply:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6lc5epc476zez8k/20160727014404_1.jpg?dl=0

5 or 6 helicopters exploded with each other. I've yet to see a situation in which this doesn't happen since the last update.

16. Edited 7 years ago by Riley

I've seen this happen once to friendly choppers but the other times worked out fine. (As fine as AI can do it anyway).
    Also have witnessed numerous Opfor choppers land successfully in a group. We even seen an Opfor AI chopper slingload a damaged Ifrit and haul it away.
    Keep in mind that we did not see it pick it up, but it did fly over us back towards the Opfor TAOR with a damaged Ifrit dangling underneath. Coolest thing I've seen the AI do yet.
    On a secondary note, friendly helis do seem to overshoot the intended LZ and have to circle back more often then not.

17. Friznit

27 Jul 2016 Administrator

AI pilots are retarded. Only BIS can fix that.

The insertion options have always been air drop by parachute, convoy or troop heli insertion. The only recent addition is sling loading so that heli insertion can now include light vehicles as well as troops.

18. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

@Friznit The only recent addition is sling loading so that heli insertion can now include light vehicles as well as troops.

Is it possible this new insertion method is the one causing the explosions? I don't ever recall collisions like this and now it's happening on a regular basis.

If it helps any in determining which method is having the problems, the choppers are usually about 20 feet above the ground when all run into eachother.

I realize it's not something you guys can fix on your own without BIS doing something on their end. Just curious at this point if the new method is the one with the problems.

19. Playing the example mission from the ALIVE team on Tanoa... I seem to be unable to call in a chopper to pick me up or a CAS. I have the tablet and all that but I dont see the option. Am I just not looking hard enough? Also my friendly troops dont seem to do anything, they just hang out.

Are they not set to invade? The opfor are not invading us either so I am confused.

20. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

@Tupolov Yes. This mission is really more focused on the player and their team. Its a good candidate for a small group who want to conduct raid like operations etc. without the main BLUFOR getting in the way. Similarly, BLUFOR are safe from OPFOR in that OPFOR are concentrating on securing the main island.

Tupolov addressed your question about the quick start mission in this quote ^^^

Regarding the transport and CAS, open the commander tablet, then commander actions. Then open combat support and you should see the options.

For anyone interested, I'll be releasing a very slightly modified version of the mission here soon, which is basically identical but will have AI spawners, boat spawners in multiple locations, and multi-respawn locations (and a few more goodies) so lone wolfs can enjoy it a bit easier too. It'll largely stay true to the integrity of the original mission (both sides sort of sticking to their own islands), but I've added objectives to the NW island as well to encourage more exploring of the remarkable map.

Stay tuned.

21. Thank you sir, that does answer it. I actually was looking for posts from you and expecting that you made a mission like this already haha. Since the other mission of yours that I played was setup so nicely.

Can't wait for your version, as of now when my squad is being stupid (standing in the street getting wasted) then I die, the missions over.

22. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!