Server freezes (Fixed!)

1. ‹ Older
  2. 8 years ago

@dixon13 That means the server hasn't given up and crashed yet.

Yeah, but when it sits there for hours without fully crashing it kind of impacts your ability to use the server to play on. So it just gets restarted or the mission changed.

If I can find a suitable replacement for RHS I would use it. CUp would most likely work, but lots of my unit guys don't seem to like CUP, and think their models are too low quality for some reason.

I wouldn't mind it, and may switch on a map build just to see how it looks and plays.

3. Edited 8 years ago by AUTigerGrad

@dixon13 Honestly, the blame is probably all on RHS and them not cooperating with the community. They are very stubborn and do things that make their mod incompatible with other mods. I think they had once mentioned somewhere on their BI forum post that they had intended their mod to be the only one used and nothing else. What kind of mod authors intend that. Nobody uses only ONE mod.

Since they don't cooperate everyone else has to make an attempt to make their content compatible with RHS. It's just extra work that is taking valuable time from actual development of the core of the mod.

A BIG reason I'm so happy Tupolov and Co. Are doing such great things with CUP. I'll be happy to switch from RHS to CUP completely in the future.

4. @ski2060 Yeah, but when it sits there for hours without fully crashing it kind of impacts your ability to use the server to play on. So it just gets restarted or the mission changed.

If I can find a suitable replacement for RHS I would use it. CUP would most likely work, but lots of my unit guys don't seem to like CUP, and think their models are too low quality for some reason.

This is the exact situation we have been put in as well. The server will just freeze and will not create any meaningful logs. If we don't shut down the server manually it will hang there forever.

CUP is a quantity over quality mod (weapon/unit) so its not an option for replacing RHS which is quality over quantity. I used to be a CUP supporter until I realized this fact.

And we can't drop RHS to support ALiVE to only have CUP as a backup. Its why we have chosen RHS over ALiVE at this point. We can replace some of the functionality of ALiVE with DAC if we need to. Obviously we would prefer ALiVE but seeing as there really isn't hope for a fix in the near future, we will have to focus on implementing DAC with Headless Client.

If the ALiVE devs can give us something to test other than "CBA, ALiVE, and ACE" we will help, but testing redundant mod packs is out of the question at this point. We know those three are not conflicting, and we know RHS is.

5. Edited 8 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Has anyone 100% confirmed the issue to be RHS? Meaning @alive, @cba and @rhs only? The staticData change is really really new and these crashes have been reported for quite some time now.

Edit: I was also under the impression that the BIdmp and a MDMP files not generating was an issue with the newer performance binaries. Am I wrong on that?

6. The static data issue is completely separate from the server freezing issue and was only introduced with 1.0 (and it's been fixed already for the next release).

7. @HeroesandvillainsOS  Has anyone 100% confirmed the issue to be RHS? Meaning @alive, @cba and @rhs only? The staticData change is really really new and these crashes have been reported for quite some time now.

Edit: I was also under the impression that the BIdmp and a MDMP files not generating was an issue with the newer performance binaries. Am I wrong on that?

My unit has had crashes with ALiVE, ACE, RHS, CBA. (We may have possibly had Leights Opfor, can't remember at this time).

And the Bidmp and MDMP file dumps have been a issue throughout 1.54 and not necessarily on the newer performance binaries. Before when my group was having crashes and we were still using ALiVE we had issues generating the Bidmp and MDMP files, both before and after adding performance binaries from Dwarden. I believe we tested V14-17 before finally removing ALiVE to get stability back.

8. Is the optional PBO in CBA's mod, "Enable Auto XEH.pbo" running? Maybe related?

9. Tupolov

11 Feb 2016 Administrator
    Edited 8 years ago by Tupolov

@SOAR_Griz "our developer" didn't reproduce the issue with just ALiVE, CBA and ACE (or ALiVE, CBA and RHS). He reported his clan gets the issue most of the time when running his clan's set of mods - which there are many - it can happen 30mins in, it can happen 4 hours in. He is in the same boat as everyone here reporting the issue with many mods enabled. This doesn't help us locate which mods are conflicting. Its about as useful as anyone else reporting the issue with a fuck ton of mods enabled.

"Our developer" didn't state that ALiVE conflicts with other mods. He simply confirmed he has seen the issue with his clan. Again, its no different to what is being reported here. There are many people reporting issues with MP play, hangs/freezes/crashes that are not using ALiVE too.

Anyway, he isn't really a developer as reported, he's mainly our build/release guy. I'm the main developer of ALiVE at this point in time while ARjay and Highhead are away. If this problem is ALiVE related and its going to get fixed, them I'm the one who will have to fix it. So, I'll need as much help as possible. Unfortunately all I can do at this point is ask for people to nail down exactly which mod conflicts, the mission used, the number of players, the logs and any other relevant info. I don't play Arma regularly with any clan as most of my spare time is spent coding ALiVE :(

I'm not getting defensive about anything here or on reddit :) Just saying the facts as reported, no one yet has been able to identify which two mods (if at all) are causing the issue.

10. SOAR_Jooce and I have worked on this problem some more. It is 100% RHS conflicting with ALiVE. We only had CBA, ALIVE, RHS(s) and got a crash within a half an hour. Confirming the theory that is indeed RHS. No logs can be generated due to the nature of the hang or freeze (whatever term is preferred for the units running in place).

11. Edited 8 years ago by SOAR_Jooce

Here are the results. RPT + Mission files

I took the base ALiVE Stratis mission ( no changes to any modules ) and played for an hour.
    I took the same mission, added RHS and changed the modules to spawn Russians (rhs_faction_msv). No dump files per usual, but I noticed something different. There weren't any "failed to send message to player" errors despite the fact that everyone began to rubber band/run in place (typically freeze behavior). I also notices that the AI, which typically rubber band and freeze also, did not freeze.

We sat on the server while frozen for a few more minutes. I ran the two scripts that Tupolov posted as well in hopes that it would log that information someplace in the RPT.

I will note, that we had one person mistakenly joined with all of their mods on, but I'm not sure that made an impact. I'll try testing again this weekend, the unit wants to actually play the game right now.

12. Thank you^, that's a crucial narrow-down

13. This is a great update! Thanks SOAR team for all the hard work!

14. So, I have a question and maybe something to narrow down the freezing.
    SOAR team, are you using an RHS BLUFOR or OpFor OpCom in your missions?

Whenever I have a mission using an RHS faction as BLUFOR (typically USarmy_d) I have the freezing issues.
    I have a modified RHS Russian Insurgency mission that I swapped out the player faction from Russian to US Army.
    However, I am not using a BLUFOR OpCom. I have 2 enemy OpComs, an IWAR USML_AIF Occupation commander, and a Leights OpFor ISTS Insurgent commander.
    the plan is to have the map heavily occupied by the main AIF forces, and the ISTS are recruiting from the local civilians. This will put some heavy pressure on the players when they are in the field.

I have this mission up and running now, and it appears to not be freezing. I had 3 unit members on yesterday for several hours with no problems.
    I left the server up and running overnight, so it's probably been on 16 hours or so at this point without crashing. I have no logs though, I turned off logging because I was getting bloated RPTs with the Server: Object #:###### not found (message type_91 or _119) messages, but the server was not freezing.

I will try to leave this mission running for a couple of days and see what happens. It is on 0.9.10 right now, and I plan to update to 1.0 middle of next week when I am off work again.

15. Honestly, I may have to wait for Griz to answer this one. Mission making is not really my forte. All that I changed was the Force Faction in the military placement module to RHS Russians. I spawned in BLUFOR using Zeus and I either used default BLUFOR, or the USMC faction from RHS. I can't recall which groups that I used but I only used one or the other.

All other modules were untouched and were those placed down by the ALiVE team for their Stratis insurgency map.

I hope you can find the answer you were looking for from that. I linked the missions above if you would like to take a look at them, but again, they're the default insurgency missions that come packaged with ALiVE. The second test mission just has RHS added.

16. I typically place OpCom modules with ALiVE regardless if I'm using RHS or Leights Opfor. Most of the time my missions are comprised of the Asymetric module with only Civ/Mil objectives. I leave the CQB and IED not synced to OpCom.

If we do set RHS factions as the OpCom, I typically switch it to occupation instead of Asymetric. But this is almost never as we usually fight insurgent groups 80% of our operations. I hope this answers your question.

17. Well, I was wondering if you have a BLUFor OpCom (Operation Commander- not Opfor commander).

Is there a Military AI set for BLUFOR command on your map?

18. Negative, we never use Blufor Commanders.

19. Ok. Wierd.

20. Tupolov

12 Feb 2016 Administrator
    Edited 8 years ago by Tupolov

Thank you @SOAR_Jooce @SOAR_Griz for the logs! I will look into this.

I did note

The server is running version: 154.134149

Assuming this is a perf build? If so, which one?

also, 18:54:36 There are are no groups for OPCOM faction(s) ["OPF_G_F"]! Please check if you chose the correct faction, and that the faction has groups defined in the ArmA 3 default categories infantry, motorized, mechanized, armored, air, sea! isn't great. We've seen issues before when OPCOM doesn't find groups.

Whatever tf_microdagr is I wouldn't use it, its causing RPT spam (a lot!)

There's no ALiVE specific error, which is good, nothing is "failing". The Virtual AI profile system is still running at the end.

I'll run the mission on a dedi and see if I can reproduce

Once again, thanks for your patience and diligence with this!

21. I'm pretty sure tf_microdagr is the ACE MicroDAGR GPS unit.
    I wonder if the spam is generated from that constantly updating to the player screen. There is an option to let it fill with full map satellite data instead of just topography.

22. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!