ALiVE Missions: I'm taking requests

1. ‹ Older
  2. 7 years ago

This looks awesome! Great work @AUTigerGrad

3. Looks great man. I was looking at Clafghan the other night wondering if there's really enough towns and "conflict points" across the map. Will be interesting to take a look at this and see how you handled that.

4. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

@JD_Wang Looks great man. I was looking at Clafghan the other night wondering if there's really enough towns and "conflict points" across the map. Will be interesting to take a look at this and see how you handled that.

Yes there definitely is. After indexing the map, testing it, not only are the cities pretty big, but the profiles even pickup some out of the way areas, such as "hidden" towers/bunkers and stuff. It's an excellent map.

I actually started building a mission on it a couple days ago and it's something. I look forward to playing AuTigerGrad 's because he's great at getting the most out of maps.

5. @JD_Wang Looks great man. I was looking at Clafghan the other night wondering if there's really enough towns and "conflict points" across the map. Will be interesting to take a look at this and see how you handled that.

Actually...funny you bring that up....

The reason I'm excited to play our next campaign with this mission on our server IS the fact that there is so much vast mountain range with little to no towns. There are plenty of civ areas in the northern part of the map..but what I did was place a bunch of custom Taliban objectives throughout the mountain range. Then I built out custom insurgent mountain camps, etc. It makes for a very unique experience in that there are few maps as big as Clafghan and most Afghan maps have very little vegetation, etc. So it sets up some intense woodland/mountain fighting.

One side note that I'm not sure if everyone is aware of or not...if you place a custom objective for an Assymetric commander (which I always do without a prebuilt composition) and you place down your own buildings, etc.....those buildings WILL be used as installations by the AI which is great. That means you can create IED factories, HQs, and weapon caches that work in sync with the commander and can be placed deep in the mountains that the players have to spend time finding.

Clafghan is a great map.

6. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

@AUTigerGrad

One side note that I'm not sure if everyone is aware of or not...if you place a custom objective for an Assymetric commander (which I always do without a prebuilt composition) and you place down your own buildings, etc.....those buildings WILL be used as installations by the AI which is great. That means you can create IED factories, HQs, and weapon caches that work in sync with the commander and can be placed deep in the mountains that the players have to spend time finding.

Do you have to put anything special in the module for it to be picked up? I don't use the optional files and I honestly have no clue now how to tap into the "custom compositions" included into ALiVE now that you can't pick from a dropdown.

If I was to just place a module down, and place maybe a shack or building and don't adjust any of the module settings (aside from the number of units), are you saying that works?

7. You don't have to do anything special.

Try this....

1.Set up an ALiVE Assymetric scenario with our modules.

2.Pick a random spot on the map and place a Custom Obj Module down and sync it to your Assymetric Commander. I always do only objective and make the composition myself.

3.Place some enterable buildings or shacks at that location.

4. Set your starting installations to EXTREME (for testing purposes) and hit preview

5. Zeus your way over to the custom objective. You'll see IEDs, Water coolers, whiteboards, inside the buildings. (not all the time, but a lot of the time and obviously based on how many installations you have it set to initially)

I discovered this a while back. Pretty great addition and allows you to expand insurgency campaigns on sparsely populated maps.

8. Hey that's really neat! I had no idea! Thanks for sharing. ALiVE is really remarkable and it's surprises like these that never cease to amaze me at this mod's power and ability to adapt.

9. If I'm not mistaken the CQB module handles placed buildings the same way - ie: plop down a few towers or barracks in the editor and CQB will populate them.

10. Nearby garrisoned profiles will use them as well.

11. 6 years ago

Hi, I hate to reactivate an old topic but there is a scenario I continually find myself wanting to play.

I really enjoyed BI's Game Over mission once I activated saves and was able to spend time moving around the island with Kerry, assisting and what-not when possible.

Game-over had this sort of panic where anything you can do is good so long as you keep alive. I was disappointed though when I discovered enemies de-spawn if you move too far away from them ruining the experience. The other problem is that it doesn't randomize at all. Everything is in the same place every time.

How hard would it be to do a Game Over -> Alive conversion. I'd like to keep things like your team the same, but simply randomize/refresh enemy units.

I'd really appreciate a scenario like this.

12. The placement of units is randomized, but it works off of objectives, so of course they will spawn in the same areas. ALiVE is meant to simulate a living war-environment as opposed to a completely randomized battle.

13. I understand that. What I don't understand is mission making so I was making a request.

I guess in plain English what I'd be asking for is NATO vs CSAT on Altis with AAF and FIA on the sidelines and me, on the NATO/FIA side as a Merc but not directly connected to anything(i.e. no commanders tablet) but with the option to make small differences in the battle.

If I was playing on Tanoa, for instance, I'd like to actually play a single small side-role such as a mercenary with ALiVE handling the main battle.

Don't get me wrong. I absolutely love ALiVE and what it does for ARMA, but the missions I've seen so far give the player too much freedom in terms of *free* equipment and vehicles to where I either run off into enemy territory and get killed or I just want to sit back on the side lines and wait to see how the war develops before jumping into play.

Too much of a lone wolf I guess.

14. @hardly I think you might enjoy messing with @incontinenetia 's undercover script. I haven't tried it myself, but it sounds right up you alley:

https://forums.bistudio.com/forums/topic/202256-release-incon-undercover-a-comprehensive-undercover-incognito-simulation/

15. 5 years ago
    Edited 5 years ago by CosmoMomen

Not to bump an old thread, but if you are still taking requests I would love to see an RHS: USAF force against a Leights OpFor Middle Eastern Militia on Lythium in a classic ACE 2 Insurgency Cache Hunt mission :)

16. I wouldn't expect too much, I don't know anyone still using Leights OpFor and Lythium just doesn't work nicely with ALiVE, there's way too many dead zones where nothing spawns, and try as I might I haven't been able to find anyone who understands that sort of thing with the time to really dive in and work out why.

17. Edited 5 years ago by CosmoMomen

I always confuse LOP with Project OPFOR :P The group I'm making missions for is dead set on using Lythium. I personally would much rather use CLAfhgan or even Takistan, but can't convince everyone else of the fact that Lythium and ALiVE don't play nice.

18. Hey if they're happy driving through a ton of empty villages/settlements then all power to them.
    It has the same issue with the BTC Hearts and Minds mission as well, lots of dead spots with no activity.

Takistan is grade A++ Insurgency material, I've yet to find a better map in terms of performance, size, enterable buildings etc. It's just a shame I've made too many mission on there now :P

19. That's what I told them (rather forcefully), but hopefully we can get one small campaign done. I'm using AuburnAlumni's Lythium mission as a template, and after that I'll try and get everyone to switch over again.

20. Al Rayak is another great map for insurgencies and conventional that is Middle Eastern style.

I'll be honest....I'm more focused on CFP faction centered campaigns now. I don't really use RHS/Project Opfor. Yes, the units are pretty...but there are just too many quirky issues with RHS units in game. CUP/CFP units behave much better. And we are greatly enhancing the "pretty part" of CUP too with CFP.

21. Low intensity warfare between two asymetric factions. Because... guerilla warfare is underrated.

or Sign Up to reply!