Best AI mod for ALiVE?

1. 7 years ago

What AI mods have you guys had the best experience with when paired with ALiVE? More so for whole map campaign type missions that utilize friendly AI, I've been experimenting with a few and I would love to hear your guys' feed back from your experiences to help find the right combination! I've been using Pooter's Enhanced ASR AI paired with TPWCAS suppression system for a while and it does the trick, but it doesn't really feel "right" yet. I started messing around with GL5 and TPW mods (LOS and EBS in particular) and I liked the result but it seems with GL5, AI sometimes won't follow waypoints which is obviously game breaking for ALiVE. I've tried VCOM AI as well, and it was pretty good too but again, didn't feel "right." GL5 AI seemed more responsive when it came to combat, found cover and maneuvered well and overall used good tactics as far as AI goes. Seems like most of the other mods just have more of a "drop and shoot" or "close the gap" type approach with no real tactics being used. I want the AI to collaborate with each other (which ASR and VCOM AI do a good job of) yet still be able to put up a good fire fight; flank, suppress, and good use of cover. I do not by any means expect any AI mod to fulfill all my desires, I just thought I'd share my preference to better influence suggestions!

2. Edited 7 years ago by SpyderBlack723

ASR is my go to if anything. You won't be very impressed if you expect anything too fancy. A combination of lack of control over AI, performance concerns, and nobody really putting/having time for a high quality mod that's always being worked on.

Would be interesting to see a dedicated and skilled team work on a single mod, but I fear that the performance issue is a huge limiting factor.

3. Also I would avoid GL5 with ALiVE as GL messes with group waypoints and might cause unintended problems. I'm not sure if TPWCAS is necessary anymore now that suppression is in the vanilla game? Could be wrong there haven't used it in a while.

Overall VCOM and ASR_AI are your best bets.

4. VCom just had a big update. I'm testing now because it does offer a lot of extras that even ASR doesn't, including AI loading and unloading static weapon backpacks, which is huge.

5. VCOM AI has a history of breaking ALiVE logistics. It's never not done that. You definitely want to make sure to test it.

6. That's what I'm testing.

7. ASR_AI3 works perfectly fine here

8. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Good luck, AuTigerGrad. I hear great things about it so hopefully it's finally usable for us.

9. AU did you get some good results on the VCOM testing? We have a couple of missions almost ready. ASR is good but we just want something a little better.

10. Helo logistics are still wonky. Otherwise, it's solid.

11. Cool I am starting my mission testing today and we have one other that is thinking about using it for his as well. With the ability to turn off some units in Vcom we may have exactly what we need/want.

12. When you say Helo logistics are still wonky, do you mean we still have the same issue of spawned helo's just taking off and flying to a point on the map altogether?

13. Reinforcements won't land, sometimes the troops in the helos will open fire on friendly troops. Weird stuff.

14. I was planning on using vcom, but im not sure anymore. Were these tests done with vcom disabled on air units?

15. It was tested with CAS and Transport disabled VCOM, however, the logisitics i.e. reinforcements that come in via helo are spawned in dynamically so those were not included. Those are the ones that are causing "wonkiness". Every other aspect of VCOM is top notch.

16. Edited 7 years ago by Imbazil

I got help from crewt on the official forums and to disable the AI on the dynamically spawned units you could paste this into your init:

[{{Driver _x setvariable ["NOAI",true];} foreach (vehicles select {_x isKindOf 'air'});}, 1, []] call CBA_fnc_addPerFrameHandler;

I have not had the time to test it yet but hopefully it works =)

17. @Imbazil I got help from crewt on the official forums and to disable the AI on the dynamically spawned units you could paste this into your init:

[{{Driver _x setvariable ["NOAI",true];} foreach (vehicles select {_x isKindOf 'air'});}, 1, []] call CBA_fnc_addPerFrameHandler;

I have not had the time to test it yet but hopefully it works =)

Any word on this yet?

or Sign Up to reply!