Mission Templates

1. ‹ Older
  2. 8 years ago

Thank you so much for these templates, I have spent hundreds of hours trying to master mission making with Alive and just one of your missions has shown me more than I learned over all that time. These missions are so good. Love the insurgency one. Keep up the good work man!

3. Edited 8 years ago by SpyderBlack723

Thanks Raditz5, this is the first time I've really put myself (or my work) out there so receiving good feedback is very pleasing. I'm glad it has helped you.

4. Well I'll add to it, the templates are great, they really help a lot with putting together missions for the first time with ALiVE. I know I actually learned a bit from them all after loading them up, I had some really wrong ideas of how some things hung together with linking.

I'm editing the Altis one right now to try out with friends next week some time with AGM, CUP, ASR_AI and Blastcore.

Just playing it on my own I'm seeing things that are just amazing and it's heaps of fun.

5. Would it be possible for the ALiVE team to create a thread/tutorial with some common scripts, etc. that we can use in missions.

Personally, I'm not a programmer, coder and I have only a very basic understanding of scripting. I would LOVE if someone could put together some of the most common "wish list" scripts that folks can use in game.

For example...if you want to do a hostage rescue of multiple hostages use "abc" in your init line.

I saw a script in the "ALiVE Air Assault", for example, with the Rangefinder single unit that said something like "Add action join assault, etc." I'd like to know exactly what that does.

Things like hostage rescue, assassinations, arming POWs, etc....I think that would be an awesome addition.

Just throwing out suggestions.

6. Friznit

27 Jun 2015 Administrator

You should check the wiki :)

http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php/Script_Snippets

7. @Friznit You should check the wiki :)

http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php/Script_Snippets

That's good stuff. I will say that there are still things in there that I'm not sure exactly how it functions.

For example, "the ability to store custom variables"....in layman's terms...what does that mean to me when I'm building a mission?

8. Edited 8 years ago by SpyderBlack723

If I'm understanding it correctly, you could use it to store values and variables for use in the next session instead of having them be reset. So, I'm making a PMC mission where you can have access to a global bank account which would revolve around a variable such as bankAccount. Using a CBA delayed per-frame handler you could do ["money", bankAccount] call ALiVE_fnc_setData, and then pull bankAccount = ["money"] call ALiVE_fnc_getData when I need to have that information back after starting up the mission a 2nd time. Just a guess at this point but it seems that would be the way it works.

9. Friznit

1 Jul 2015 Administrator

Basically yes, you can store whatever you want. R3F cash balance for the creation factory, for example.

10. Edited 8 years ago by SpyderBlack723

For example, "the ability to store custom variables"....in layman's terms...what does that mean to me when I'm building a mission?

Actually found a nifty way to use this in a recent mission. I used an array to keep track of the locations of specific objects that were created through scripts (addActions to be specific). I then pulled that information up upon mission restart and used it to place new objects in the same location as a method to "persist".

_object1 = [getPosATL object1, getDir object1];
    _objects pushBack _object1;
    _objects = [_object1, _object2, _object 3];
    ["Objects", _objects] call ALiVE_fnc_setData

After restarting mission..

_retrievedObjects = ["Objects"] call ALiVE_fnc_getData;

{
    _objectLoc = _x select 0;
    _objectDir = _x select 1;

_object = "object_classname" createVehicle [0,0,0];
    _object setDir _objectDir;
    _object setPosATL _objectLoc;

sleep 1;

} forEach _retrievedObjects;

Not the exact code but you get the point. This is where someone comes along and tells me there was a much easier way and I feel bad.

11. Edited 8 years ago by psianh auvyander

I've been trying to get a decent 3-way insurgency mission put together for what seems like forever. I finally succeeded after switching to different mods.

Takistan Warfare
    This mission requires:
    All in Arma Terrain Pack
    RHS USAF
    RHS AFRF
    ACE 3
    CBA
    CUP Weapons
    Iraqi Syrian Conflict

12. Nice, what factions did you utilize for each side?

13. @SpyderBlack723 I've used rhs_faction_usarmy_d, rhs_faction_vdv, and ISC_IS_I.

Currently it's set where the player must be a member of rhs_faction_usarmy_d.

14. Hi guys and hi Spyder, I appreciate the thread. I'm super new to this stuff but I think (fingers crossed) I successfully set up my dedicated server on my PC using TADST. What I'd like to do is take one of these missions and get it all set up with War Room so I can save and resume my progress (I plan on playing alone but hopefully with AI teammates).

Are any of these missions pre-baked in a way for me to do this without having to learn the modules and editor? I plan on it eventually but right now I kind of just want to dive right in and learn how to play.

15. Short on time atm, but they should work as is with no needed input from you to play.

16. Cool. Thanks. When you get a sec, could you clarify if I can use them (your missions and the sample missions) for persistence "right out of the box" so to speak, and if they're set up to be able to save/resume with War Room? I don't generally have too much time to play so being able to chip away at a mission over a few weeks and continue relatively where I left off would be ideal.

17. Oh. I tried Operation Landlord last night and noticed that I couldn't fill empty slots with AI teammates. I tried calling in some player support but maybe I didn't wait long enough? Do any of these missions have it so AI teammates automatically can spawn with me?

18. Most missions will not unless they are made to support singleplayer - you might have to make a small change to one of the mission files to enable AI. If you know how, open the mission .pbo file, open the description.ext file, then change disabledAI=1 to disabledAI=0.

19. Thanks Savage. I've never edited a PBO. What kind of program would be needed for that? Notepad++? I'm familiar editing ini files in Fallout but nothing like this. And is it just as simple as edit and save?

20. Be careful.. once you start tinkering in the editor you will loose all track of time, your wife/kids will leave you, and the dog will piss on your computer :)

http://fpsplayers.com/billing/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=22

http://warmod.webs.com/importmissiontoeditor.htm

If you really do want to get into the editor I highly recommend reading Mr Murray's editing guide. It's old, some stuff is out-of-date, but it's a great starting point.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=4847

21. Edited 8 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Oh wow thanks so much. LOL! The fpsplayers link isn't working for me but the others seem very VERY helpful.

So I guess barring me getting any other suggestions for a pre existing mission that I can save persistence on The War Room with (I can't tell if any of the ones in the OP are compatible with that without tinkering), I'm going to roll with AuTigergrad's Royal Marines Kunduz since it already is set up for SP and AI slots:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=539871206

Hopefully I can get it synced up to War Room tonight and also hopefully I don't annoy the heck out of you guys trying to see this through. :) Also triple hopefully AuTigergrad posts his new Altis mission soon here too. It's fantastic.

22. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!