ORBAT Creator General FAQ

1. ‹ Older
  2. 5 years ago

@Nichols @cbff33 Would you be willing to link me the factions you are wanting to make in a file along with your existing files and maybe I can take a look at it and see what might be the problem? AND maybe help overcome that same problem?

I am far from an expert on it but I have dealt with some pretty hard bugs in making factions and have overcome them....99% of the time and I am extremely OCD when it comes to getting it just right; so I completely understand but I am willing to give a hand if at all possible.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/710615ol0ybu8gn/AADF1so08R2uKSEgw8H0TGkya?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3v449nuc4kp1wle/AAAAOVAvfskO20BO0oXblUpra?dl=0

3. Thanks @cbff33 I got it and I looked it over. Also sent you one of my factions so you can do a comparison while I bang away and see what I can get for you.

4. it's just a small test faction there, to see what the heck I am missing in all this. Not sure how I am missing anything though. If I can get the orbat to work, I want to create my own faction for my server, changing the loadouts and everything. It get's tedious doing that individually in each and every mission I make for my server.

5. This orbat tool is a bad joke, the wiki for it is pretty darned outdated. The tutorial videos are from 2016, and following those to the letter does not work, and it seems to even get a faction to work, you still need to manually edit the code generated by the orbat tool. I for one would like to see this removed from Alive until such a time as it works as it should. If it worked as advertised, everybody and their uncle would be uploading factions to the workshop. Internet searches find nothing but complaints in regards to a wide multitude of errors people get trying to create a faction using this tool. And even this forum talks about how the wiki is wrong and so forth. And if one is able to get the orbat tool to work as advertised, I would love to see new tutorial videos, that actually show the faction created in those tutorials actually works in alive, without errors, and without needed manual coding. it's a waste of time having a module that only partially works, and that drags down the whole alive and arma experience.

6. And yet there's so many people out there using it, creating tons of factions with little to no issues.

I suggest instead of shitting all over the tool that's allowed so many people including myself to create custom factions, you wind your head in. Just because you can't get it to work that doesn't mean it's "broken" and "useless" and it sure as shit shouldn't be removed.

In fact it all very much sounds like a you problem, and after that bullshit post it's a problem I certainly won't be helping you with and I doubt anyone else will be lining up to help you either.

7. @JD_Wang And yet there's so many people out there using it, creating tons of factions with little to no issues.

I suggest instead of shitting all over the tool that's allowed so many people including myself to create custom factions, you wind your head in. Just because you can't get it to work that doesn't mean it's "broken" and "useless" and it sure as shit shouldn't be removed.

In fact it all very much sounds like a you problem, and after that bullshit post it's a problem I certainly won't be helping you with and I doubt anyone else will be lining up to help you either.

I wouldn't say tons of factions at all. And JD, you at no time have ever offered help, so don't even make that comment now. You wanna say bullshit...I say it right back to you. I've been trying to get it to work, and the only way it works, is to manually edit certain things to even get factions to stop crashing arma with event handlers. So, since over the last couple months of me seeking help, and you not stepping up one time to offer to help...keep your little opinion to yourself bubba.

8. Edited 5 years ago by JD_Wang

Hey if you can't work it that's on you. I'll keep happily making factions as will a lot of other users.

So, since over the last couple months of me seeking help, and you not stepping up one time to offer to help...

This may come as a surprise, but I don't check every thread in this forum every day, and even when I do check them it's only the one I have interest in.

I would have been more than happy to help, but to be honest I'm not going to give any time to someone who calls someone else hard work "a bad joke" calls for a very useful tool to be "removed" based on the fact that they themselves can't get it to work and basically acts like an entitled spoiled little brat.

If you don't like it, go learn how to manually config a faction from scratch. I can tell you now that's so much more painful than using the ORBAT creator.

You need to learn to be thankful for all the work people put into this just so you can have your entertainment.

9. Gentlemen, please.

@cbff33 - we realize the orbat tool is not a polished piece of software however it does work most of the time. Occasionally we run into issues but overall people have been able to create lots of custom factions.

The tutorials are out of date because no one has offered to update them. ALiVE is in maintenance mode now and the core devs have moved on to other things. I am happy to update the wiki with new information however unless someone provides me with that info....

I am not an expert in creating custom factions... perhaps @AUTigerGrad can provide some input?

10. Been working with him on that for a while @SavageCDN ; I can't figure out what the issue is and I brought @SpyderBlack723 into a private conversation with him as well. From one of his last posts to the private conversation he mentioned that he was attempting to use items from 2 completely different factions and I think it might be related to that but I am uncertain as I did not get a reply other than him saying on Jan 2nd that he was "officially over it". I am more than willing to work with @cbff33 to hunt down the problem as I want to see what it might be even though I have never had this issue.

11. 4 years ago
    Edited 4 years ago by Memphiz

Three questions

1. Is there a way to use custom flags, for custom factions?
    2. How can I save an existing custom faction, and then load it up again, for further changes?
    3. I seem to get a error when I try to start the game, after I have exported a faction, and try to install it as a mod... It says something about "a" being encountered instead of "{", even with a unaltered faction…… Afterwards, I got the exit code: " 0x0000DEAD -". Any ideas on how I can fix that?
  12. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!