VCom and ALiVE

1. ‹ Older
  2. 5 years ago

@JD_Wang @RedeyeStorm in our current mission we are using 3.0 and have not had a problem with any thing like that. In fact we had a QRF early on in the mission from our BLUFOR AI support element that did an air assault into a town to support our players while they were being assaulted by a massive insurgent force on Reshmaan. Other than the BLUFOR AI spawning in and using the wrong helos for the mission they did everything else correctly. They landed both Ghosthawks in open areas outside the town and then waited until the troops were all out before lifting off. Then they flew limited gun support with their door gunners as they were on their exfil route from the LZ.

3. Yeah it seems all good now, I finished making a mostly Vanilla mission (just ACE and TFAR) and we kicked that off a couple of weeks ago. So far everything is running well and VCOM is great. Seeing AI commandeer vehicles is kind of cool as well. We even had a viper squad roll up on us in an Ambulance the other night :)

4. @Nichols @JD_Wang @RedeyeStorm in our current mission we are using 3.0 and have not had a problem with any thing like that. In fact we had a QRF early on in the mission from our BLUFOR AI support element that did an air assault into a town to support our players while they were being assaulted by a massive insurgent force on Reshmaan. Other than the BLUFOR AI spawning in and using the wrong helos for the mission they did everything else correctly. They landed both Ghosthawks in open areas outside the town and then waited until the troops were all out before lifting off. Then they flew limited gun support with their door gunners as they were on their exfil route from the LZ.

That sounds like it's out of a fucking movie! Wild stuff.

5. I can affirm, VCom AI V3 is taking command of combat support helicopters. I am making a pretty good alive mission and when I went to check out the airport ingame, all my apaches, and blackhawks were flying around and hovering randomly.

6. Discussion for that up again tho? I am not sure if VCOM is hijacking my pilots.

I had two issue. The Reinforcement Helicopters sometime stalled in the air not moving. And the other part was my transport pilot not reacting to my landing command. For the last issue I am not sure if it was an issue which telling the transport to have Rules of Engagement on FIRE AT WILL. I kinda think the transport searched for a fight rather than dropping units.

So I am still unsure about VCOM

7. I am not xertra. Vcom does hijack your assets. But if you put in the code JD_Wang posts on 21st of may you should see a difference immediatly.

8. I use that code and it doesn't work all the time, nor most of the time. There is another code (prob located in the same thread you reference) that you can place in each AI in the A/C, which I use also, and that doesn't help either - at least not much.

A work around; tell the hovering a/c to 'move' , or give a S&D mission, and give a location/waypoint. After a/c moves to the specified location, send a command to RTB. That usually works.

Good day!
    DrDetroit

9. I turned off both ACE and VCOM AI in my mission, and either one of them was causing horrible script errors and game crashes. I wouldn't recommend using this unless ALiVE or VCOM AI tries to fix it.

10. Edited 5 years ago by cbff33

I too, am removing VCOM AI from this mission I am creating. I think VCOM AI would be well worth it in a true MP scenario on a server. But as far as a SP mission, and trying to use ALive, VCOM AI is just killing me. I love how the AI act, but not the AI that are in my squad. My AI squad members are in turmoil. I've never seen this behavior in Alive, and this is the first time using VCOM AI with it. I can tell they are responding to my commands and wanting to follow the VCOM AI commands they are receiving. And my CAS and Transport aircraft are all doing wonky stuff. Not obeying my commands, delayed response, refusing to RTB and hanging over the battlefield until shot down. VCOM AI 3.0 seems to still be a bit crappy, at least when it comes to SP, where you have to rely on your AI squad members. Shame, because I can see the potential. But it just sucks with Alive. Back to ASR AI for me.

11. And I gotta agree with DrDetroit. I put in the suggested script into my combat support aircraft, and it didn't do diddly squat to improve anything.

12. @cbff33 have you gone through and adjusted the AISettingsV3 file that is part of the VCOM script that you run on the server? If you haven't then I suggest you use that to do what you are looking for with the AI squad members. Also since we don't generally run AI transport helos we have no experience dealing with the problems you are all referring to with pilots not landing. I am interested in what you all find out though as we might run those things in the future.

13. On another note our communities have never run VCOM as a mod so that might be a problem in and of itself; we always run it server side as a script so we don't generally get user side conflicts.

14. I have looked, and cannot find any option to have vcom not interact with user controlled AI. Yesterday on a mission, a blufor vehicle came into our AO. My AI flocked to that vehicle. Every few minutes, the AI would start responding verbally to commands, but yet I was giving none. It had to be VCOM trying to order them to board the vehicle. And when I ordered them to regroup they would acknowledge my order, but would not leave the vehicle vicinity. The player air support, they will show up. land as directed, and I can board and then talk to pilot and go where I want to go. When I order the air support to RTB, they fly a few kilometers away and then just hover, they refuse to RTB. As stated, I believe if one were running a server, where you have no AI in your faction, all people in game are under human control, but your opposing force is all AI control, I think this works great. The AI in my squad, are definitely receiving orders from me as well as VCOM. VCOM only gives you the option to disable VCOM control for a whole force from what I am seeing in the menus.

15. @cbff33 I have looked, and cannot find any option to have vcom not interact with user controlled AI. Yesterday on a mission, a blufor vehicle came into our AO. My AI flocked to that vehicle. Every few minutes, the AI would start responding verbally to commands, but yet I was giving none. It had to be VCOM trying to order them to board the vehicle. And when I ordered them to regroup they would acknowledge my order, but would not leave the vehicle vicinity. The player air support, they will show up. land as directed, and I can board and then talk to pilot and go where I want to go. When I order the air support to RTB, they fly a few kilometers away and then just hover, they refuse to RTB. As stated, I believe if one were running a server, where you have no AI in your faction, all people in game are under human control, but your opposing force is all AI control, I think this works great. The AI in my squad, are definitely receiving orders from me as well as VCOM. VCOM only gives you the option to disable VCOM control for a whole force from what I am seeing in the menus.

You can disable VCOM AI from getting into random vehicles in the addon options either in the editor or in the game options. I've seen the setting already, and I actually kind of like it because they will actually get around the map a little quicker. However, I recommend disabling civilian vehicles in ALiVE because the military units will use those as well rather than only military vehicles. It would be nice to get more control of what faction of vehicles VCOM AI is allowed to board.

16. We've been running VCOM 3.0 in our latest campaign which has been a Vanilla mission on Altis using only ALiVE, TFAR and ACE and not once in about 4 weeks of the mission running have my guys complained about VCOM taking over supports. (and my guys complain about EVERYTHING)

I had a couple of issues in the last mission we did but that stopped once I added the (group this) setVariable ["Vcm_Disable",true]; into the code line of the support modules.

17. I used that script and the player combat support helos were still acting wonky.

fatsquirrel, my issue is not random AI entering vehicles. My issue is with VCOM itself, commandeering the AI in my squad. As stated before, it is more than obvious when my 8 ai squad members rush to a vehicle, and then I hear 16 radio transmissions, roger, copy that, on my way. And I have not given my AI squad members any commands what so ever. So they are receiving commands from VCOM, but these AI are attached to me, but they won't actually carry out any orders from VCOM or me, but they do acknowledge orders were given.

As stated previously, this may work well on a server. But it clearly is buggy beyond all get out with SP.

18. @cbff33 But it clearly is buggy beyond all get out with SP.

It's not a "bug" that it's doing what it's supposed to ie giving orders to AI.
    If you look in the settings you'll see VCM_SIDEENABLED = [west,east,resistance]; //Sides that will activate Vcom AI Simply remove the side that you're playing as.

Or you could run the (group this) setVariable ["Vcm_Disable",true]; code on the player (you may have to loop it I'm not sure) which should disable VCOM on any unit in your group.

And then if that's not enough for you make a request on GitHub for it to automatically disable on a group when the player is group leader. I think there was an option for that before the rewrite.

19. I wouldn't want to disable a whole force from VCOM. Just any AI under player control. It would be a horrible mismatch to have one force using VCOM and another one not using! There are way too many good features. I will contact the person who made VCOM and see if it would be possible to have it disable as you described, when under control of an active player.

20. Edited 5 years ago by DrDetroit

I notice this behavior too, where my AI are not responding to me and yet seem to be acknowledging orders. However, generally this behavior happens after I've been killed and respawn in.

What usually works is to select F1 (yourself), then '0', then '1' which is "done". Sometimes I'll have to select my entire platoon, then F1, '0' and "done".

75% of the time this works. I've noticed this behavior for years now, it seems.

Good day!
    DrDetroit

21. Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but is there any way to disable VCOM automatically on all air units with the current version? I'm still seeing especially military logistic choppers bringing reinforcements just hanging in the air doing nothing, and as far as I know, there's no way to disable VCOM from them with the "(group this) setVariable.." command.

22. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!