ORBAT Creator General FAQ

1. ‹ Older
  2. 7 years ago

If you place a playable unit from YOUR faction on a map, place Zeus module down set to show all addons, then launch mission

Go into Zeus

Place down the group from the original faction (which IS visible in Zeus)

Look on unit drop down on left hand side. Highlight the unit you just placed. All units that have classnames in your custom faction will be highlighted in white. Any units in that group that don't have classnames in your cfg patches file will be grayed out.

3. OK, thanks for that help, @AUTigerGrad! I managed to get my stuff spawning, and showing correctly.

I still need to find out how to keep the one Russian crew guy from spawning on a Zu-23 I want to use from RHS. It still vexes me!

4. Edited 7 years ago by SpyderBlack723

It's very possible that you cannot do that. I'm not versed by any means in unit config creation, but turret slots seem to always be filled automatically.

5. /Sad face/ well, I have a friend that had to deal with the issue by writing a script to delete extra crewmembers that were doing the same thing in something he was working on. I guess I could have him help me put something together and slap it in the PBO if I can't find an alternative.

6. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Not really sure if these are 1.64 and ALiVE compatibility issues, but when I place a unit down in the editor along with the ORBAT module and press play to open ORBAT, I get this error message every time: http://imgur.com/kWHBmMq

ORBAT itself seems to work just fine. I went in twice to edit my faction. Example, I went in and added some ammo to the uniforms of a few units, but when I exported the config and pasted it into my autogen.hpp file, and packed it up into a PBO and loaded the new version mod, my game crashes to desktop immediately with some variation of this:

File hv_taliban\autogen.hpp,line 926:
    '/CfgVehicles/HV_Taliban_Pickup_Truck_03_01/EventHandlers/ALiVE_
    orbatCreator.po_vehicles': '\' encountered instead of '='

The line is always different, but the unit (Pickup_Truck_03_01) is always the same. The odd thing is, I can load any version of my mod made before 1.64 without problems, but any time I do anything new, I get this error when trying to load it. I don't understand because I'm not editing this vehicle in any way.

7. Edited 7 years ago by SpyderBlack723

Are you running a custom texture on the vehicle? If so, this is due to another change in 1.64 that breaks specific instances of outputting.

Pass me your autogen.hpp and Rpt and I'll find out where it's going wrong.

The error in the picture is just a BIS error, nothing we can do about that..

8. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

@SpyderBlack723 Are you running a custom texture on the vehicle? If so, this is due to another change in 1.64 that breaks specific instances of outputting.

Pass me your autogen.hpp and Rpt and I'll find out where it's going wrong.

The error in the picture is just a BIS error, nothing we can do about that..

By custom texture, do you mean selecting one of the colors available for the vehicle in the edit preferences section within ORBAT? If so, then yes.

The reason is, and maybe this is just a limitation of ORBAT, because when you import a vehicle that normally would spawn in a 'random' color in game using the original faction, importing it through ORBAT causes it to spawn in a set color (in my case, red) even when no color is actually selected. So I decided to set the color to one I don't hate.

I'll get you the Autogen.hpp and rpt later. Though note, even though the error points to the one vehicle classname, I imported the same vehicle 3 times (using 3 different classnames) changing the color on each of them so it would feel varied when they spawn. My best guess is there would be at least 3 instances of this error, or more (I changed the color of a couple other vehicles too). Should I have not done that?

EDIT: If I shouldn't be manually selecting the color for the vehicles due to some bug, how can I un-do it? There's no none/random option in the preferences.

9. EDIT: If I shouldn't be manually selecting the color for the vehicles due to some bug, how can I un-do it? There's no none/random option in the preferences.

I will manually fix them when you give me your file.

There was a command change in 1.64 that causes a change in behavior when working with quotations and the ORBAT Creator needs to be adjusted to accommodate. This should be fixed by the time the official release is out.

10. Crap. does that mean that we won't be able to use ORBAT Creator again until the official release of the next ALiVE version?

11. Just don't use custom textures on your vehicles. The next build will be soon™.

12. Gotcha. Looking forward to soon™.

Question: does anyone know what the Groups designation for Motorized Infantry (MTP) means in the ORBAT?
    I know what Motorized Infantry is, but what is that MTP designation for? Motorpool?

13. Friznit

23 Sep 2016 Administrator

I assume it stands for Multi Terrain Pattern, referring to the camo they are wearing. However, camo variants really should be defined at the faction level because there's no way to determine which groups spawn. All those mods that roll up different camo types into a single faction are a bit awkward - you end up with desert camo dudes running around in the jungle, for example.

14. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

General mod question: Is it "safe" to change the display name of units without breaking existing missions? I actually misspelled/misclassified (smacks head) two unit's classnames and display names - and I know that editing the classnames would be a bad idea - but can I redeem myself with the display names or should I leave well enough alone?

15. Yes, perfectly safe.

16. @SpyderBlack723 Here's the autogen.hpp file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/gdcwcu6pzf05qfg/autogen.hpp?dl=0

Let me know if you still want that rpt from when the game CTD's on startup and thanks for offering to clean up my file.

17. Try this https://gist.github.com/anonymous/ba3f87bbe5f292f4df350b4079f6b866

18. I just want to say I ran in to the same situation earlier today as Heroes. I attempted to go back into my RHS Pirates an ad a URAL to transport a full squad around in. I got a popup very similar to his, and then game crashed.

Probably just something in the new Arma Patch.

19. @SpyderBlack723 Try this https://gist.github.com/anonymous/ba3f87bbe5f292f4df350b4079f6b866

That's perfect, Spyder. And thank you. I appreciate it and I mean that. Thanks a million man.

@ski2060 what you're seeing is a result of something BIS changed with 1.64 in regards to using quotations and ORBAT (Soyder described the issue above). Spyder said the next official ALiVE update should be compatible with this change, but at the moment, certain things need to be manually edited in the autogen.hpp which is why I submitted mine to Spyder (which he just awesomely manually fixed for me).

20. I don't know if this has been discussed earlier but would it be possible to get...

1. Civs for ORBAT

2. A function to randomize gear (headgear/facewea primarily, but why stop there?). Like say, make a list of possible items for a particular dude.

Cheers!

21. Edited 7 years ago by SpyderBlack723

1. Civs kind of skipped my mind when initially creating the ORBAT Creator, but I would like to go back and enable them. Right now, if you generate a normal faction with weaponless units you can manually change their faction to side civilian rather easily.

2. This is a major wishlist feature for me, but unfortunately it's not so simple. Due to lack of time when developing the module, I utilized the BIS Arsenal. This works great (sort of) for outfitting units, but doesn't really leave much room for extra menus such as selecting gear for randomization. I've done a lot of restructuring on my local copy with plenty left to go, but I would love to eventually find a way to elegantly include these features. Time is tight, but it's on my mind.

Thanks for the feedback

22. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!