ORBAT Creator General FAQ

1. ‹ Older
  2. 7 years ago
    Edited 7 years ago by SpyderBlack723

They are randomized. Considering a checkbox in the unit creation/edit screen to disable/enable this.

I'm able to change the head types, but not the language or insignia

Could you elaborate on why. Are the voices and insignia lists blank. If so, post your rpt. Are you using the latest link from above?

3. Edited 7 years ago by dev614

They're blank, yes. I've also just made a completely new faction from scratch to find out that I cannot export the units config. I can export groups, faction (first option), and cfgpatches but when it comes to any unit (all of them or trying to export them individually) or the "full faction" option I get an error code and nothing copied to the clipboard.

-image-

I can export any other faction just fine but for some reason I can't export the one I just made. Must be a conflict with a mod I used to make the unit or something, I don't know. That's 3 hours of my life wasted. :(

EDIT: I just tried removing everything from one of the units I created and seeing if it was a mod that was causing the problem, but I still could not export that individual unit when he had nothing on him. I think I'm just gonna have to cut my losses and start again with the old ORBAT creator.

4. Edited 7 years ago by SpyderBlack723

Not sure how to go about helping you. Everything works perfectly fine on my end, and the same for @Nichols so far.

Try re-downloading.

(Also a tip, export often when using development builds such as these. These aren't 100% stable and final unless otherwise specified.

5. Edited 7 years ago by dev614

I'll try re-downloading and let you know what comes of it. The problem stems from opening a new units' arsenal and saving the changes. I tried creating a new faction, adding a CSAT combat medic into the units, went into the loadout editor, exited without saving any changes, exported - it was fine. When I went back into the loadout editor, (I have ASR installed so the NVGs were placed in the units inventory somewhere after the arsenal loaded up, that's the only change that occured from the units original loadout) I clicked "save changes" and tried to export the unit and got the error.

6. Tried redownloading it, got the same result. I'm just gonna stick with the stable ORBAT, I followed the same steps to reproduce on the old ORBAT creator and everything's working fine.

7. Can't replicate. If you haven't already, try following the same steps with only CBA and ALiVE running.

8. Been running this latest dev version all evening and haven't seen any issues yet. "crosses fingers and hopes nothing bites him in the ass"

9. Edited 7 years ago by ToTo

I have the same problem as dev614, with the same error message. The first time, I rebuilt my faction from scratch and could not export the result... Rather frustrating. Latest version changed nothing. I only have CBA, Alive and RHS active...

10. Edited 7 years ago by SpyderBlack723

This is why I say

only CBA and ALiVE running

Adding RHS breaks it because they have some weirdly configged languages. I can't chase different addons around all day. Working from the ground up saves significant time.

11. Oh. I understand the limitation, but from a user perspective, there's not much point using the ORBAT creator without addons, especially such a widespread one (but known for its oddities and weird custom scripts, agreed). No critic here, just user-oriented feedback : )
    It does work fine without RHS.

12. Is the RHS problem related to any specific item or unit(s)? My Taliban ORBAT faction uses a mix between RHS/Project OPFOR/Eric J and it works fine with the old version.

13. Old version did not contain ability to modify language.

14. @ToTo Oh. I understand the limitation, but from a user perspective, there's not much point using the ORBAT creator without addons, especially such a widespread one (but known for its oddities and weird custom scripts, agreed). No critic here, just user-oriented feedback : )
    It does work fine without RHS.

These are test versions. Hence when problems arise, I need a baseline to work with. I can't keep up when everybody is running 10+ different mods.

15. Edited 7 years ago by Imbazil

I simply want to change the tank/apc groups of 2 factions to include only one vehicle, instead of 3 and figured this is the way to go?

Seems to be easy enough in theory. I loaded the takistani army from CUP, found the groups and removed the other squad members, hit export and copied it into my description.ext file. so far so good right?

Now when I do the same with "rhs_faction_usarmy_d" they don't have any entries under the regular white categories but instead in custom named ones colored red by ORBAT. I guess the addon creator is to blame for messing something up but seeing as the faction actually work in the regular Alive modules would there be another way of simply reducing the squad size/override of the desired groups? or does it work if I edit the ones in red? (it says not compatible with alive so i guess not)

16. Those factions actually don't work with ALiVE, none of the RHS factions do because they tend to not use community standards for their content. We have provided a hacked solution for their functioning in ALiVE so you do not need to convert the groups to the compatible categories. Just edit the group as normal (but don't change group classnames).

17. Ah i see, I'm gonna send some feedback their way then. Thank you for the reply and for already fixing the "issue"!

a side question, when i specify groups in the description file, will those groups add themselves / override the vanilla group pool, or do I have to include all groups that I did not modify as well if I want them to spawn?

18. Edited 7 years ago by SpyderBlack723

You have to define ALL of the groups, modified or not. Basically, just make the changes you want, then use the Full Faction export option. Then rip out everything in that file except what is in between

class CfgGroups {
    };

And toss that in your description.ext (or a file it calls).

19. Edited 7 years ago by ToTo

With the latest workshop release I get this when trying to pack :
    https://i.imgur.com/WWiwamP.png
    The quad bike is the vanilla FIA one... And he can't read config.cpp?!? Wut?

20. Edited 7 years ago by Nichols

On a different note...Spyder; I was wondering earlier today if there was a plan to simplify the output of factions or the ability to save your work in order to resume it without having to reload all the previous stuff. Similarly to how we can save a mission file and reload it to work in it without starting over from scratch. I have gotten very good at reloading and typing faction names and classnames in the last few days but honestly don't have as much time now due to work and would love to get some game time in soon.

Thanks for the hard work and feedback on some of my other issues.

21. @ToTo With the latest workshop release I get this when trying to pack :
    https://i.imgur.com/WWiwamP.png
    The quad bike is the vanilla FIA one... And he can't read config.cpp?!? Wut?

I had a similar error the other day but we were able to change it by removing that turret line from the config.cpp. Also you may find that the extended event handlers will create another problem as well.

22. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!