ORBAT Creator General FAQ

1. ‹ Older
  2. 7 years ago
    Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

I just updated my ORBAT Taliban faction (HV_Taliban, an Independent faction) . Same link as above (which I'll post anyway) and requires RHS Rus, RHS US, Project OPFOR and Eric J's Taliban:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xgqyhqii9pfst30/%40HV_Taliban.zip?dl=0

Some minor edits. But the main reason for the update, and pro tip, if you import a car/static weapon/anything with a unit slot, if you don't edit the slotted unit in the weapon/vehicle itself, it will fill the slot with a unit from the original faction, no matter what you define in the group section. Example: If you import a static mortar from your favorite faction, if you don't manually change the unit by editing the mortar's preferences, the slot will be filled by a unit from the object's original faction.

Soon I'll post the ORBAT group to the new Google Drive page. Anyway, figured I'd share what I learned on that incase it wasn't obvious to someone.

3. Friznit

20 Sep 2016 Administrator

Good tip. I'll add it to the wiki.

4. Edited 7 years ago by SpyderBlack723

Has anybody exported a vehicle with which you've applied a custom texture? If so, can you confirm that it works (pre 1.64), thanks.

5. Edited 7 years ago by AUTigerGrad

I've completed my "Taliban Lite" Faction.

No CUP or RHS Dependency at all.

It uses EricJ's Taliban, NIArms Core, NIArms AK pack...that's it folks.

I also designed it specifically with ALiVE Insurgencies in mind as they are all civilian clothed and I have 2 man groups with snipers, 4 man groups, 6 man groups, 8 man groups, and 10 man groups.

I loaded the CFGpatch classnames as well so it works perfectly in Zeus.

I also have armed and unarmed Technical trucks and a mortar unit.

Should be pretty flexible to use whether your unit uses CUP, RHS, whatever.

I'm actually replacing all of my CA Aggressors Opfor based missions with my new Taliban faction.

Hope you enjoy it.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B5R8WkcGUL8pT3BJdklhclN0V28?usp=sharing

6. I'm going to have to hit you up to see how that cfgPatches thing works, as I can't figure it out. Might just be the sleep deprivation lately.

Good to see new stuff coming out! I'm going to try to get my Pacific Pirates converted to RHS AFRF tomorrow.

7. It's easy. Just tedious.

That's the reason all of my Brit Factions haven't been released yet..I'm waiting to get the config completed on each so they'll show up properly in Zeus.

Once I get those done, I'll release the Brit factions. I'll be doing both CUP and Non CUP versions.

8. @ski2060 I'm going to have to hit you...

Please no violence

9. Evening @SpyderBlack723

When you get a few can you take a look at mine and heroes conversation in this thread from a few days back? I'm curious about some of the actual answers to the things we were throwing around. specifically vanilla mp campaign persistence. Thx!

10. Link me to the beginning post of the convo and the approx. number of messages to read if you can. I'll have time to read a bit tomorrow.

11. Edited 7 years ago by Docbuck

Having trouble on mobile doing that but it's a few pages back in this thread, convo between myself and heroes on the 18th. Honestly my question is broad and kinda silly, but I'm trying to figure out how to combine the vanilla strategic map, missions, and their newish higher quality tasks with ALiVEs veritable AI and spawning features. I'm trying to figure out if, with the release of apex, mp campaigns can be saved and persisted and, if so, how that melds with this mod. Thanks for your time.

12. MP missions have always been 'saveable' with ALiVE. It does require an account on the ALiVE War Room and some setup on your dedicated server. See here for more info:

http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php/ALiVE_Data

13. Edited 7 years ago by Easy

@JD_Wang Are you able to change side with the creator?

Like will I actually be able to achieve my insurgency dream and create an OPFOR faction out of armed civilians?

Yes, this is the first thing I did with the ORBATarang.

If you go into the config and make "C_man_1" the original dude you will get the random head/facewear of the vanilla civilians aswell, since you cannot select civilians in ORBAT (yet?). Another benefit is that your AI group members will call them out as "civilian" and not "rifleman".
    Only problem I've seen with this is that Spyders Civilian Interaction gives me the "interact" action, but nothing happens when I try. Which honestly isn't an issue, because they wouldn't be able to tell me anything since they are not really civilians as far as that mod is concerned.

On another note, when I use my ORBAT guys they all spawn with no magazine in their weapon, is this a feature or am I doing something wrong?

14. @Easy Yes, this is the first thing I did with the ORBATarang.

On another note, when I use my ORBAT guys they all spawn with no magazine in their weapon, is this a feature or am I doing something wrong?

Yup, I noticed this too.

15. @SavageCDN MP missions have always been 'saveable' with ALiVE. It does require an account on the ALiVE War Room and some setup on your dedicated server. See here for more info:

http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php/ALiVE_Data

@SavageCDN yes I understand that. I appreciate the input, however if you'd read the conversation I referred to it might help understand the question a little better. The matter is not what ALiVE can do, but what vanilla can save, if that capability changed at all with apex, and how vanilla MP campaign saving features would interact with ALiVE.

For example, according to the individual I was speaking with trigger states are not persisted by alive. Meaning they'll all be back to their init state if I restart the server. This relates to my question, because these must save using vanilla, otherwise the apex campaign wouldn't allow you to carry over sessions. So how do I use the persistence capabilities of the internal save features with the persistence capabilities of ALiVE?

16. Edited 7 years ago by SavageCDN

@Easy On another note, when I use my ORBAT guys they all spawn with no magazine in their weapon, is this a feature or am I doing something wrong?

In Arma 2 when changing unit loadouts via script you had to add the magazines first then the weapon else you started with no mag in your rifle... perhaps it's related?

@Docbuck For example, according to the individual I was speaking with trigger states are not persisted by alive. Meaning they'll all be back to their init state if I restart the server. This relates to my question, because these must save using vanilla, otherwise the apex campaign wouldn't allow you to carry over sessions. So how do I use the persistence capabilities of the internal save features with the persistence capabilities of ALiVE?

Ah I see now... that question is unfortunately over my head ;)

17. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

@AUTigerGrad Yup, I noticed this too.

Are they at least reloading their weapon when they spawn?

And can someone give me a step by step for how to make these ORBAT factions Zeus compatible. Spyder's code hints at it but I'd love to know how to actually put that in practice.

18. @SavageCDN In Arma 2 when changing unit loadouts via script you had to add the magazines first then the weapon else you started with no mag in your rifle... perhaps it's related?

Some of the troops would load their rifle, but I did have 3-4 problem children that refused to load their weapon for quite some time.

19. Yikes. That's a problem then and what sucks is this feels like an Arma thing and not something we could expect the ALiVE Devs to handle on their end.

With the Taliban ORBAT pack I made, I actually never changed the weapons for the units (I just changed the gear and as a result, had to add their magazines back on their person). Doing it that way, I see them engaging immediately upon spawning but I haven't explicitly looked for these trouble children either so I will later for sure.

I think Savage's idea is worth a try. Perhaps put their ammo on their person and THEN equip them their weapon. It's definitely worth a try.

20. You know, I'm thinking there must be a simple solution to the no ammo in weapon thing. I mean, people make faction mods all the time. So being bored at work, I started a thread on r/armadev about it. I'll report back if anyone has any decent answers.

https://m.reddit.com/r/armadev/comments/53ty41/question_about_editing_unit_loadouts_and_them/

21. This is unique to the Orbat Creator only, nothing to do with Arma itself (at least not directly).

22. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!